Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I have an Admiral Capacity Plus Dryer Model LNC7764A71

I have an Admiral Capacity Plus Dryer Model: LNC7764A71   The tumbler turns the light comes on when I open the door.   It just doesn't get hot. The air vent is unobstructed and is only about a 7 foot run to the outside and the dryer has been working fine for years. I suspect the heating element is shot but would like to get trouble shooting advice.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Do you have an ohm meter? please advise and I will help you.

Chas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

FANTASTIC, we need to open the top of the machine, at the front of at the top about 2 inches on either side you can slide a putty knife in to release the locks and lift the top up. let me know when you get that far.

Chas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. This will take a few minutes to get my tools. Dryer is on one floor, tools another and computer on a third !!!
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

BEEN there and done that I will be waiting.

Chas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

okay top is up

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

The element is located at the rear, disconnect one of the terminals from the element and ohm it out, please make sure the power is off, OHM it and give me the reading

Chas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm unsure as to what I'm looking at. There is a round looking device that has electrical connetors on either side with red wires connected. One of the red wires then connects to what looks like a terminal or bus bar. Am I disconnecting one of them? Also, my meter is a multi-meter and I'm usually using the volt/amp side. So you'll need to give me a little more detail on checking for continuity BTW the round device is loose. It looks like it should be secured.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

You need to set the meter on OHMS and when you touch the leads together they should change from 1 to 0, if you look at the heating element in rear see diagram below and item number one, this is what we want to check.

HEATER

Let me know how it goes.

Chas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here's what I did. I disconnted the plastic coated connector from #1 and touched the leads on the two terminals (one connected and one disconnected). I got no reading on the meter. I touched the terminals on #3 with wires connected and got a zero reading. I touched on lead on a #3 terminal and the connected terminal on #1 and got a zero reading. I then touched the disconnected terminal on #1 while touching #3 and got no reading.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Can you check for voltage at the outlet where it comes out of the wall using the AC side of the meter and seeing if you get 220 volts across L1 and L2 at the wall?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I get 110 from each side to ground and then when I go between the two hots it goes to infinity
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I look at the configuration of the heating element I see that it is a little different than the diagram you sent me. There is a block that I'm assuming is a bus bar. It has two leads coming into the back of the back that look like they come from the heating element Then on the opposite side are the two red wires that I described, one of which I disconnect But when I look below that block I see two other terminal connectors coming out of the metal frame surrounding the heating coils. The wires connected to it are white and go off somewhere separately.

Am I checking the right wires?

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Your element is bad then, replace it and be happy again with dry clothes, the part number for this element is LA-1044, you can go to the following link below to order. This also has a picture of the element complete. It is your element!

http://www.apwagner.com/

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. By accepting you are agreeing that I have satisfactorily answered your questions. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your Just Answer's account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

BONUSES ARE WELCOME but are not mandatory
Chas

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Thanks for your help. Merry Christmas