Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi there, I have a Kenmore Series 90 Model #76902. This is

Customer Question

Hi there, I have a Kenmore Series 90 Model #76902. This is the Gas dryer with the lint trap just inside of the door. It will try to start as long as I hold the button. The drum will turn but seems to be bound up. I took it apart enough to know that all 4 ‘skate’ wheels are turning freely, and I cleaned up the fabric seals on each end of the drum. However, I did not remove the drum because I could not determine how to get the belt on/off. I thought I have fixed it with these steps as it had been VERY dirty. However now that it is together again, it is just as before – tries, buzzes, times out and needs to sit until it resets. Have you any ideas? Where might I find a manual that will show me how to remove and reinstall the drum?

Thanks,
Pat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

you need to check the blower in this and make sure you dont have a sock or something stuck in it. if the blower is clear and you still have a problem then it may be the motor is failing. your model # XXXXX XXXXX can you get me full model # XXXXX I'll check the cost of motor for you, thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Complete model number is XXXXX 76902.

I'm 100% sure there is no sock in the blower. I had it apart and cleaned it and it turned OK. My question was how to remove the drum so I can get a better overall look in there.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you give me a few minutes I need to get on my other computer and I'll send diagrams and try to walk you through it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'll be back to this machine in about 10 minutes myself. Thanks Bryan.

Pat

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok heres your motor, Part 158and heres a site with the belt diagrams http://www.repairclinic.com/0079.asp#DiagramH I believe you belt diagram is k on these. you have to reach in behind the drum on the bottom of the dryer will be your motor and pully assembly. pull the pulley toward the side of the machine and release the belt. click here for complete diagram of belt and motor assembly, DANGEROUS URL REMOVED%2flis_png%2fPLDM%2f10052269-00002.png let me know if this helps. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I guess that we are almost there. However, the link I needed the most was scrubbed by the site. Here is a copy paste of your last sentance "click here for complete diagram of belt and motor assembly, DANGEROUS URL REMOVED%2flis_png%2fPLDM%2f10052269-00002.png let me know if this helps. thanks Bryan "

Can you resend in another format?

Thanks,

Pat

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That is an exploded diagram of part numbers. I'll go ahead and click "accept" and authorise payment because I belive that you did make a good faith effort. But I'm still somwhat in mystery.

In the old days when I was in autobody, we had manuals that would explain/demonstrate removal and installation so that was my expectation. Maybe such things are not available in your biz...

If you find an additional inspiration, please feel free to send.

Thanks,

Pat

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I may have something else you can use, click here its for a whirlpool but whirlpool makes yours, http://www.repair-help.com/kb/index.php?article=759 this at least tells you that the threads on the blower are left hand threads so you need to turn it opposite direction. hope this helps, I can help more tomorrow if you need, just come back and ask. I'll be happy to help further. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan,

I just figure that I would close the loop for you. I did amputate my dryer today. In the end I pulled the drive motor/blower and took it to a place that could check it for me. It was fried.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne, your diagnosis was correct - minus the sock. Because the motor was so expensive, I ended up purchasing a new (to me) - used appliance which is now delivered and operating behind me as I write this.

Interesting experience. I spent $10 on this service that in hindsight that i wouldn't have. but i learned something and would use the service again.

So thanks,

Pat

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome and thank you. happy holidays and well wishes in the new year. thanks Bryan