Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a Kenmore refrigerator that is not getting cold enough,

Customer Question

We have a Kenmore refrigerator that is not getting cold enough, but is still keeping things in the freezer frozen.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Can I get the complete model number including the period after the first 3 digits? Also do you hear the fan running when you open the freezer door?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not at home with that data right now. We do not hear the fan running. The lights come on when the door is opened. My hubby vaccumed out the back on the fridge and said he is not hearing the compressor at all. This one on Sears' site seems like a match:
  • Sears item #04668252000
  • Mfr. model #6825
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

Please contact us when you can get me the information needed, There can be several items that can cause these symptoms, we are here 24/7 to help you.

Chas

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chas, there is no model # XXXXX way you describe it. The model info I have is that it is a Kenmore Model 73182. The fridge is on 5 (coldest) and is only able to cool itself to 55 degrees F.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.

On the inside the fresh food section usually on the right wall there will be a model number near the top.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope. There used to be a sticker there, but it has been pulled off by my daughter who loves the sticky sides to stickers.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok this is Bryan, I will see if I can help you. can you tell me if there is any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? did you say you couldnt heaer the compressor at all? is the fan running inside? let me know , you may be stuck in defrost, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is a standard defrost timer. depending how old this is this may be whats wrong with you refrigerator, let me know how old this is thanks Bryan,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We bought it in 2004.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you hear anything running at all in ref.? Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do hear something in the fridge, but I don't know what. When I open the freezer, no fan or anything kicks on and I don't hear that specific fan noise. My hubby said the fan that cools the compressor was going when he cleaned out the back of the fridge as well.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok it sounds like its stuck in defrost, I am having trouble locating your machine on my data bases but what you need to look for is the defrost timer I sent you a picture of. look under the front kick plate and look up under your controls in ref. section. also check the back. there should be a place to put a screw driver in and turn this to run. let me know what you find . thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I took off the bottom front vent and it was full of dust and gunk so I cleaned that out hoping that would free up airflow. I didn't see the defrost timer there or in the back by the compressor. What I see is a compressor, a fan that has some kind of a power unit of the like attached to it and wires that go up into the right wall of the fridge as you face it from the rear. It has wiring like a car where a number of wires go into a single plastic clip and then into some component.

I cleaned everything out of the freezer. There was frost on the thing that goes up the middle back of the freezer and seems to cover the fan. The fan didn't look or sound as if it was running though. I cleaned that all up, replaced the food into the freezer and started the ice maker and that worked still.

Any other ideas where I might find the defrost thingy or something else to try? Would the defrost timer keep the fans off? I did find a wiring schematic when I pulled off the front vent and it has part(NNN) NNN-NNNNA on it. It has not part listed for the defrost timer, but says the part can be found on the component. Does that mean it is attached to the compressor somewhere?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well the defrost timer would keep the fans off if it was in defrost. without the model # XXXXX dont know where the defrost timer will be. try taking down the control panel in ref. section where you set the temp. and see if its there. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found a unisys appliance controls module in there that is connected to both temp knobs and the lights. There are 2 screws on it. Which should I turn and left or right? I don't see anything saying run.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well this may be an adaptive defrost board and you don't turn this , this is electronic. its probably bad. can you take a picture of it and send it? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here you go. graphic
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I see the graphic but can't open it. is there another way you can send it? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok that is an adaptive defrost board. you cant start these if the fans are not running this is probably bad and needs to be replaced. can you find a part # XXXXX it? let me know .Bryan, p.s. the relays or the blck boxes on this is what runs compressor and fans .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tons of numbers. On the top of the black box, it says OMRON, G8P-1C4P, 48 VDC. It also shows NO 10A, NC 20A, 08X3H3. On the side of the box is a white sticker that says(NNN) NNN-NNNN Whirlpool, XXXXXXXXX 100-01116-03, 250VAC. So, some of that is power info, but I don't know which of the half dozen other numbers really matter. Hope one of them is right! LOL!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
found it! Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=click here to see site. http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-2213473-%3d%3di1174817&PartID=1174817 before you order this do you know how to check contiuity with a volt meter and do you have one? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband has one. I will have him check it. I also read online that there may be a black mark if it burned out so I can have him remove it and look for that after he checks continuity.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
i really want him to check ythe cold control .let me know if he knows how. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is continuity from the contacts on the switch and from the wires that connect to it from the board. Should he read it somewhere else?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well we just needed to know if there was continuity across the two spades on the cold control. thats the one that turns ref. on and off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. There is continuity there. What does that mean? Now, the ice maker isn't making ice either.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

is this getting cold at all at this point? let me know . Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we just cycle the thermostat on and off 6 times and it sounded like the compressor kicked on. It had gotten pretty warm in there today.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok my internet went out night sorry , let me know when your back on. I think you may have a bad cold control. try taking the two wires off the cold control and tape them together and see if the compressor starts and keeps running. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good idea. I will try that when I get home tonight and let you know. The frige was still at 55 degrees as of this morning.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks . let me know Bryan
Expert:  master appliance tech replied 5 years ago.
if there is continuity across the cold control it is fine. you said that there is not frost on the back panel of the freezer right? let me know if I'm wrong at any point here. and you also said that the fan in the freezer is not running. lets start with testing power at the evap fan it is the fan in the freezer after you remove the back panel check got power there also look for the thermostat it will be round with a metal body and blue stuff on the back check continuity on that also see if the blue stuff looks like it has popped out let me know if this changes any thing
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was frost on the back panel of the freezer which I got rid of from the inside body of the fridge. I can see frost up in the holes from the fridge into the area where the fan is in the freezer. The fan in the freezer--as you stated--is not running. I will check it, but when you say take off the back panel, do you mean the plastic cover that protects the fan within the freezer? The stainless panel that covers the entire back of the fridge or the rectangular panel at the rear base of the fridge where the compressor resides?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is 120V to the fan in the freezer, but it is not moving. Now what?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
sorry my internet was down, you need to change the fan, not sure which fan you have without model # XXXXX I know a place that sells universal fan kits.cheaper too! call 1-800-540-0800 appliance parts center and tell the you need an sm999 super kit. hope this helps thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.