Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Ice Maker is not making ice.

Customer Question

My refrigerator was moved and the water connection to the ice maker was removed. The water was turned off also. We have re-attached the water hook up and turned the water back on but the water does not flow into the ice machine. What should I do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
first check the tube that goes into the back of the ice maker and make sure it hasnt frozen up. can you get me make and model ? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It is a Kenmore refrigerator model number 253.64810406 manufactured in 6-05. The ice maker is also from Sears model number(NNN) NNN-NNNN AS-18. Is it possible that the ice maker need to be primed so to speak with water directly?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well first off the model isnt comming up but is your ice maker right in the front of the freezer section or is it mounted on the side? if its mounted on the side take the front cover off the ice maker and you will see the module. I'll walk you through how to start this and also when you take the cover off look at the middle of the gear and see if one of the little tabs that hold the gear on is broken.let me know thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I have to jump in the shower I'll be back shortly. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The ice maker is mounted on the side of the freezer. I took the cover off and see the module. The gear seems to be fine. I don't see any broken tab. The model # XXXXX XXXXX there are other number as well on the unit. They ar SA8868 and(NNN) NNN-NNNN. Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
the module in the ice maker should look like this right?Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=let me know, thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I'm back are you still there? Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Kind of it has two gears on small and one larger.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
in the middle of the large is there a screw holding gear or does it look like the one I sent you a picture of?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it does. But how does this have anything to do with water not flowing?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well this is the module that runs the ice maker and if its not sending power to the valve you wont get water. do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not have a volt meter and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. Sorry

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well the best thing to do at this piont is test the ice maker and see if its cycling. are you handy at testing things? Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't know. How would I test it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well you need to jump the ice maker to make it cycle,do you have any wire around that will fit in the little holes in the ice maker module? let me know and I'll try to talk you through it. Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry Bryan. Thanks for your help I guess I'll just have to give Sears a call.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
they are expensive to repair something, you should call around and check prices for service. most companys work on kenmore , you dont have to call sears. they will charge you a fortune to repair this. hope this helps ,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank's for your help. I appreciate your time.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
no problem good luck and happy holidays.well wishes in the new year , thanks Bryan