Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Whirlpool model let6634aw1 dryer runs and blows cool air.

Customer Question

My Whirlpool model let6634aw1 dryer runs and blows cool air. It won't heat up. The "Automatic Dry Miser" dial will not advance even after the clothes are dry. The timer also will not advance past "cool down" if I use the dryer in Timer mode. Both modes worked fine before, and went bad at the same time. Is there a part malfunction that would explain this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
click here to see all the heater parts including thermostats. http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SmartSearch.aspx this dryer is not heating at all? it could be a number of things , the heating element , or one of the thermostats. the dial will not advance if the dryer is not heating, do you have a a volt meter and know how to check continuity? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct. Not heating at all. I have access to parts diagrams. I have a multimeter and know how to use it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok the first thing you need to do is remove the back panel and on the right side you will see a tube going up the back and this is where your heat element is , you need to check this by remove the wires and check for continuity across the two terminals . if no continuity then you need a heating element. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There was a metal cover (didn't quite look like a tube, but it's the cover over the heating element). Tested for continuity at the 2 connection points at the bottom of the cover where 2 thicker red wires attach. No continuity. No continuity with or without wires connected. There was connectivity from power to end of wire where it connects to heat element, and all other wires that lead to the heat element terminals from controls or other safety T-stats (like the blower). There was also connectivity across the Hi-Limit T-stat just above the heating element terminals. No connectivity across the heat element terminals means bad heating element?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok you need to change the heating element ,its bad. are you talking about the thermostat on the top of element ? this one the one on the right? let me know , Bryan Part 2821
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The photo you attached is the one I'm referring to. Same part #. It's just above the power terminals for the heating element. Looking from the back, it is near the bottom, right of the dryer's centerline, on the left side of the heating element housing.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I would just change the element and the thermostat set. sounds like the thermostat may have gone bad and made the element go, its hard to say what went first. just to be on the safe side,are you sure no continuity at the element? its unusual that the element and thermostats both go but not unheard of, do you know how to remove the element? let me know , thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Definitely no continuity across element (probes one on each terminal), definitely continuity across t-stat. Have not replaced an element before, looks easy enough. But replacement parts are more than I paid for the dryer. Will buy my friend's old dryer for less than what the parts would cost. Thanks for the help in finding the problem.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no problem thanks for the accept and happy holidays, Bryan