John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

How do I unclog a maytag neptune mah8700aww My mother-in-law

Customer Question

How do I unclog a maytag neptune mah8700aww? My mother-in-law washed a mat that disintegrated and plugged up my washing machine and now it won't drain, or work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/AdvancedModelSearch.aspx?ModelNum=MAH8700AWW&mfgModelNum=&fkMfgID=1

Hi It looks like the water pump Is clogged. Remove the back panel . This will let you gain access to the pump. heres A break down to help you Please accept the appliance doc

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did this already and there is still water in the machine (where you put the clothes in) that will not drain. I unclogged the pump... do you have any other suggestions? Is there a filter that could be clogged by all of the debris that came off the back of this old bath mat.

Have you any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I should say that I 'cleaned' the pump as there was no actual clog.

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi then you will have to take the hose off where It hooks up to the tank,Its more than likely clogged there as well.Try that. Please accept The appliance doc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry to sound so ignorant... but what do you mean when you say please accept the appliance doc... do you mean the schematics that were posted in your original reply?

Thanks,

Jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi .you said you cleaned the pump, But did not find any debris in the pump?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes... but it was so fine that it easily washed out. The pump seemed like new, despite being 3 years old. I even took the magnetic part with the blades on it out of the housing and rinsed and cleaned that too... i made sure it was dry when I put it back together. It seemed to have been lubed with petroleum gelly or something similar. I had none around, so I oiled it mildly before putting it back together.

I will look into the hose thing...

btw... Peterborough, eh? I'm in Barrie.

Also... I am not a scammer. If your advice assists me in fixing this thing, I will gladly pay for your services.

Thanks,

Jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Well hello neighbour Check that hose that goes from the pump to the washer tank Its more than likely all stuck In there If thats the problem please accept MERRY CHRISTMAS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will do that... but it is going to take me a little bit... putting the kids to bed.

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
talk when ever you want to.By accepting. Its not the end Of the repair , You can ask as many questions as It takes to do the repair
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok... i'm about to try this... i have accepted and thank you for your help thus far.

1 quick question before I begin,

is it hard to follow this hose running from the drum to the pump? Is there a trick to getting it off?

(I guess that was 2 questions.)

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi .Nothing Is easy on that washer. But just follow the hose, from the pump to the tank There should be a clamp, holding the hose on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so nothing is easy on this washer? what do you think of it? is it good quality (in your opinion)?

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi they are ok just not as good as the older ones
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok friend,

I am having a heck of a time getting the clamp and hose off... any suggestions?

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi I know Its one of those spring loaded clamps I use a pair of vise grips And sxxx r alot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
buddy, you rock.... i got it off, and man was there a blockage!

now... i will keep this repair file open while I try my best to put the f***er back together!

;)

(I worked in bars for 7 years of my early life... i am down with the swearing!)

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Great .Im in the business for 45 years. And I got the swearing down patthanks bud take care I will be here If you need me
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one last question...

how much would it have cost (roughly) for a service call for this problem?

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
HI $85.00 service call labour $ 75.00 + taxes so you saved a few bucks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks man,

you rock!

i gave you a great review.

I will contact you again if I ever need to.

thanks, again,

jason
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Any time just ask for me MERRY CHRISTMAS