Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I put my bathroom rug into the washing machine (front load-Neptune

Customer Question

I put my bathroom rug into the washing machine (front load-Neptune MAH-1). When the cycle finished, the machine was full of suds. The next time I did a wash, the water did not drain well. I tried several times the next few days. Still it is not draining. Is this a blockage in the drain hose, and can I clear it myself? We lost alot of yarn from the rug.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the backing on the rug has come off and clogged your pump. you need to remove the pump and clean it, I see this allot. never wash rugs in the washer , it can ruin the pump. take the screws out of the door hinges and lift up on the door and it will come off. then take the screws out of the other side across from door hinges and pull out on the front panel at the top and the panel will come off, then you can get at the pump.this is what your pump looks like. Part 775841take the hoses off and clear the pump. get lots of towels ready! try and get as much water out of tub as possible before attempting this and also unplug machine, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I opened up the front and the back but cannot locate the pump
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you get me full model# XXXXX I'll get diagrams for you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model# XXXXX

Should I remove the pump from the back or front?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the pump should be located about 3/4 of the way back on the bottom right side, it may have a plstic shroud over it so it wont get wet. can you check your model # ? I think you gave me serial #, this # XXXXX comming up. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So is the pump the one with the black rubber pipe going into it? Because I unscrewed the drain hose and there is a black plastic flap on that. Water came out of it but it's not clogged. I read it again the model # XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes that is the pump , there should be two hoses going to it, one from the tub and the other goes out to the drain, take both off and the two wires and remove the pump and clean it. hopefully you haven't damaged the pump already.you should be able to reach in the pump with needle nose pliers and remove anything stuck in it. you may have to do this several times if theres allot of stuff in the washer. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a metal piece that I'm having troublepulling out that is connected to the floor plate of the washer
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
there should be two bolts holding it down, take these out and it should come right out. these machines are a pain to work on because everything is in a small area and hard to get to, but you need to check the pump. let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there are no bolts holding it down. It's just a little round hole on the floor of the base which is connected to a plastic holder connected to the pump. At least I think this is the pump. It's the one on the right from the back, right?

I'm wondering now if it's the one on the left. The one on the left is the one connected to the drain hose. The other side goes into a pipe that looks like it goes to the tub of the washing machine.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds like you may be at the wrong place , sorry maybe I was mistaken as to where your pump is located. anyway it will be the one that the drain hose is connected to as I mentioned before, let me know if you get it out or are able to check it. I'm going to see about diagrams for this. thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
click here for diagrams. http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/model-display.php let me know if this helps. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think I got it. I don't have time to test it right now because I have to take my kids somewhere in a half an hour. But I was able to locate the pump and will screw everything back when I return in 2 hours. Thank you for your assistance. You were great!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your welcome thank you , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hello Bryan,

I was busy with my children this weekend and just got to finish screwing everything back the way it was. Unfortunately, I forgot which (the black or two white wires of the pump) goes into which socket/slot. Also, I had taken out the red wire and yellow wire from the unit located towards the back right of the washing machine. I'm unsure as to which goes in the top socket/slot and which goes on the bottom. Does it make a difference?

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do these have plugs on them? if they do they only go in one way. this is the pump right? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well yes the pump seems as if they only fit in one way. The other unit towards the back right with the red wire and the yellow wire both fit into both slots
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , well I kinda need to know which part you unplugged it from. can you find it on the diagrams? let me know , Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

on which diagrams.

I'm in the back of the washing machine and this is the part that is right next to the pump with the the following written on it:

62709230 Plaset-61679 120 V AC - 60 Hz 40 W

Now the yellow or red wire has to go into a slot with an "N" under it or into the other slot with an upside down "L" under it

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
is this the part you took the wires off? Part 949491
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it's the other unit that looks just like the pump but hase the black rubber hose going into it
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
are there only two wire connectors or spades to this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it's not the area on the left with all the wires going into it (from the back left, that is)

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is the recurclation pump. I dont believe it makes a differenc which wire goes on which spade. is this it .Part 455466
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I think it looks like that. okay so it doesn't matter which goes where?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no I dont think so, this is just a pump like your drain and it just needs 110 volts to run. these wires diliver 110 volts and it shouldnt matter which way there wired.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

okay, i'm going to test it out.

Thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok let me know , thanks Bryan