Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE spacemaker (stackable washer/dryer). Dryer turns

I have a GE spacemaker (stackable washer/dryer). Dryer turns on, but doesn't heat up or dry clothes
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
is this unit gas or electricity? also can i get a model number? look inside the door on a sticker to find the number
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Electric

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
and possibly a model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WSM2420SCZWW
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
fun fun--- to work on anything for the dryer you need to pull the unit out and take the back panel off--- do you have a multi meter? if not double check your power circuit breaker to make sure you have 240V going to the dryer before going through all the work of pulling this dryer out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No meter, but checked the circuit breaker and everything looks o.k.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
ok pull the unit out--- Turn the power off ---- take the back cover off--- you will need to pull the heating element out of it's canister and see if it's broken. Push on the coils to make sure it's not broken the breaks are very hard to see. Click HERE to get a picture of what you'll be doing..... part number 269 is the one that you need to check
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do not see any breaks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
mm ok without a meter its going to be rough but a couple quick check you can do are if you see the thermostats on the side of the heater housing (2 little round devices about the size of a quarter with 2 wires going to each of them) you can pull the wires off these thermostats and connect the 2 wires together. Be sure they are not touching any metal or anything and turn the dryer on and see if it heats. If it does not then it's not those thermostats it's either a motor or a timer. But to identify these problems you'll probably want to higher a trained technician as it's impossible to tell which one is the problem without having and knowing how to use a multimeter.

Even this test with bypassing the thermostats is a bit much but if you really want to see if you can nail it down try this test out just be careful not to touch the wires to any metal when you plug the machine back in.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc