Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We broke the glass top on our year and 1/2 old stove...weve

Customer Question

We broke the glass top on our year and 1/2 old stove...we've ordered the replacement but my husband is having a hard time figuring out how to get the old one off and the new one on! Are there are any walk-thru instructions anywhere that we could use?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
not really but if you can get me the model # XXXXX'll see how it comes apart. usually there are screws under the top near where your door closes and then you lift the top up . after that you need to take the screws out of the cross members that hold the burners up and let them lay down on the roof of the oven. be careful these are fragile and they break easy just get some help and lay them down easy. after the burners are off the top there should be screws holding the top onto the back of oven. remove these and put the new top and replace the burners onto new top , some of the tops just unhook from the back , once you get it up you will see how it connects in back. let me know model # XXXXX Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The model# XXXXX XXXXX my husband said it doesn't sound like that describes the oven we have.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok I see your top this is flush with the counter right? is your free standing? is this your top.? Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=if it is let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That looks like it! Yes, it's flush...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Oh no, it's not free's a slide in or whatever I guess?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok, the way these come off is there are screws around the outside once you slide the oven out . the best way to tell which crews to remove is to wait for the new top and compare the screw pattern around the top. its going to come with the frame and all the glass will be in the frame, acually these are easier to install because the burners should stay right on the oven.just lift the top up and off frame and all.let me know if theres more you need to know. thanks Bryan, just got your reply about it not being free standing. your going to need help on this and you will need to get the whole thing out and set it on something, unfortunately the screws go all the way around the top. hopefully the power cord connecting oven is long enough that you wont have to disconect it. if its not long enough try lifting it straight up far enough to get some 2x4s under it so you can get the screws out this is hard though.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Alright, my husband says he's already pulled the stove out and taken out every screw he can find and the frame will not lift off the stove. He says it looks like the frame is welded to the stove or something!! He can't see how it's connected to the stove itself...
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
does this sit in the counter top ? can you take a look at these diagrams and tell me if this looks like yours? let me know . I have to go to my moms for few minutes I'll be back shortly. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, it's a slide in and he's got it pulled out into the middle of the floor. He's gotten every screw he can find removed and he just can't get it to come loose from the top. We've talked to another appliance guy and he says there's a metal rim that goes all the way around it that sometimes is just real tight and it's hard to pry loose...does that sound right? And since our glass is already broken, we can just bust up the glass and that metal rim will come out with it. And then the replacement piece should sit right back down in there. Does that sound right? My husband got frustrated and went
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I understand his frustration, I've done many of these and yes they can be real tight. thats why I recommended waiting until your new top arrived so you could see what part of the frame comes with the glass. since you already have it out are this far you might as well try prying it off at this point . the only concern I have is that you will get allot of shards of glass in the burners and sometimes its hard to get it out without damaging burners , be careful not get much glass in the burners. the rim is the part I told you comes with the glass in one of my earlier posts. let me know if you get it off. thanks Bryan