Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

How do I replace the door handle for kenmore elite refrigerator

How do I replace the door handle for kenmore elite refrigerator model # XXXXX?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
can I get the first 3 digits of that model number?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
no sorry should read like this XXX . XXXXXXXXX can you go look again and see what the first 3 are?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my bad the first three is 106
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok fun you have about the hardest handle to remove in recent time. To remove this handle you need a putty knife or flat wide screwdrive. Basically the handle is comprised of 3 parts. Unfortunately the middle part is the last part that comes off. You must prey the bottom and top parts off. Do not pry from the top pry from the sides. There are either plastic or metal clips holding the handles on from behind that sit in a groove on the plastic handle extensions pieces. The final part is easy the middle pice is held in by a screw on the top and bottom hidden by the other 2 extension pieces at the moment. Just remove these screws and it will pop right off.

Usually the clips are located about 3-4 inches from the top and bottom of the extension and this is the area you want to pry and pop the extension off (warning you do have to pry pretty hard but I honestly have yet to break the handles so they are pretty resiliant.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
which side do I pry the handle? From the front of the door or from the side?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
if your standing in front of your refrigerator it doesn't matter which side left or right--- the clip is the same on both sides underneath the extension.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The problem I have is the handle on the refrigerator side wraped around 90 deg to the side between front doors. Should I dry from the front or the side between the two doors.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
whoa what? I'm not sure I'm getting a good mental picture of what has happened here is there a way you can get a digital picture and use the "insert/edit image" button to post it here?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
stand by i am getting a picture
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok I'll be waiting
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have to reduce the file size, stand by

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok so the plastic piece on the "TOP" pry at it from the left side of this picture. You will have to do the same on the bottom piece. But just start with the top piece first the bottom is the exact same.