Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

i have a a kenmore elite side by side fridge and the water

Customer Question

i have a a kenmore elite side by side fridge and the water works but the ice does not. how do i check to see if it is the ice maker in the freezer or the seloniod behind the fridge the local apliance place said it could be either or when i called. dont want to buy both how do i narrow it down. thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know: -Could you explain your situation a little more? Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question. this isnt making ice at all? can you check and see if its moving? these ice makers have modules in them now that have a gear, the gear is held by two little prongs in the center, these are plastic and one of them breaks allot. if you can pull the front cover off the ice maker you will see this, check and make sure one of theses prongs isnt broken.if you can get me model # XXXXX will send you a picture of this. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HERE IS MY MODEL # XXXXX THIS HAS A DUEL SELONOID IN THE BACK THE WATER ONE IS WORKING HOW DO I TEST TO SEE IF THE ICE ONE IS WORKING THANKS JOE
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
the best way to test the valve is by cycling the ice maker on this , it has a smart valve in it and its difficult to test, are you able to get the cover off the front of ice maker? see picture, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=if you get the cover off this is what you will see. check the two plastic fingers in the middle of the white gear if one is broken you need to replace this module. if not get a piece of wire about 4" long and strip it back about 3/4 of an inch and stick one end in each of the holes marked T and H and hold it in when it starts until you hear a faint click then remove wire. be careful this is live 120 volts dont touch bare wire. then let it come around till it stops. take the tube off the ice maker at the top back of ref. and let it go into bucket. if water comes out when its cycling you probably need a ice maker module. shown above. let me know Bryan, this is your valve, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ONE OF THE PLASTIC FINGERS ARE BROKEN IF I CHANGE THE MODULE DO YOU NEED TO RESET ANYTHING AFTER YOU CHANGE THE MODULE. THANKS JOE
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no just replace the module and when you do on the side you will see the release for the plug that connects to the new module. I recommend taking that plug out put the new module in and then plug the plug back into ice maker, that way you wont bend the connectors on the new module. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Christmas. Bryan