Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whilrpool Model ET18NK refrigerator. It doesnt cool.

I have a Whilrpool Model ET18NK refrigerator. It doesn't cool. The refrigerant tube up to the evaporator coil is very cold and frosts up. It doesn't seem to be passing refrigerant through the coil. The defrost heater is not activated. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sounds like you may have a leak and are loosing freon.do you have the panel off inside the freezer section? is your compressor running allot? let us know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes. The compressor runs constantly. I took the inside panel off covering the evaporator. The tube entering the evaporator is so cold, my finger stuck to it. That's why I thought the refrigeraant level was OK.

Thanks Bryan.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just one more bit of information. The frig has been sitting unused for the last two years. It was working fine before. When I tried using it this week, it just wouldn't cool.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok well , theres a couple of different reasons this could happen 1 low on freon. 2 you may have a clog in the dryer or tubeing in sealed system. either one would need a sealed system tech. to repair, my guess however is your low on freon. Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Bryan,

One more question. The frig is at least 10 years old. Roughly, how much would this service cost, and would it be worth it?

Thank you.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
well that all depends on what needs to be done. they have vacuum down the system and fill it with nitrogen and find the leak, after that it depends on where the leak is and if it can be fixed without changing any parts. then they charge you to refill with freon. would call around and see how much to check for leak, if its the evaporator coil thats corroded from sitting unused for awhile this is expensive and I don't even know if its still available,thats all I can tell you to do, hope this helps, thanks Bryan