Alan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years in the appliance repair field.

My Whirlpool Gas Dryer model #LTG6234DQ4 does not hold its

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Gas Dryer model #LTG6234DQ4 does not hold it's heat. I've tried using both the timed high heat and the very dry high heat cycles. The gas does come on - but it seems it comes on only once as the unit is not even warm after about 45 - 60 minutes of drying. I have empltied and completely cleaned the lint catcher. I don't over stuff my dyer - even trying to dry two or three towels or a set of queen sheets is taking two and three cycles (about 2 hours of drying) This unit is only about 18 months old, but of course has just come off warrenty - - any ideas on what this is and how I can fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alan replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for using Can you see if the ignitor comes on and if it does, does the dryer light the first time?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes the ignitor does come on and the dyer lights and heats the unit the first time - it stays on for about 3-5 minutes but never seems to re-ingnite.
Expert:  Alan replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks for replying with that info. You need to replace the coils on the valve. They come in a set and the part # XXXXX XXXXX Click here if you would like to purchase online.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I do that myself - or do I need to get a professional to do that?
Expert:  Alan replied 7 years ago.
It is a pretty simple job. You will need to unplug the dryer and take the front off. At the front right of the dryer is the valve, There is a couple of screws to take off the old coils and then just replace them with the new ones. Here is a picture of the valve and coils.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much!!!
Expert:  Alan replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome, Glad I could help. You will save yourself a good chunk of money by doing it yourself!!!