Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Whirlpool super capacity 465 Gas Oven. The oven works

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool super capacity 465 Gas Oven. The oven works fine during the day. It will not work at night, (Ignitors will not spark, gas does not flow) although the stovetop works fine. I have tried resetting the timer with no luck. This has stumped my appliance repair person. We have replaced the Ignitor on the oven. Same problem persists. help? Do I have a haunted oven?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
how old is this oven? do you have the full model #? this is a strange problem , there isnt much to go on here, the only thing that could cause this is a spark module on the burner part could be getting moister in it at night but that wouldnt explain the oven igniter not comming on , if you can get me model # XXXXX will try and look this up , let me know Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi! thank you so much for any help! the model number is XXXXX

I have even tried unplugging the stove and letting it sit for a bit to try and get the timer to reset (on the assumption its timer related????). I read something about if the polarity is wrong, I would get these symptoms (but that doesn't explain why it only malfunctions at night?) so I plugged it into another outlet but the problem persists. Last night I unplugged it, let it sit, plugged it back in, and then the stove top wouldn't work either. (ignitors not working, gas flowing). Got up this morning, it works like a charm, both stove top and oven. As I said, the whole ignitor unit on the oven has been replaced. Normally, the stove top works fine, the oven stops working (ignitors won't ignite) right around dusk.

really. no foolin. works great all day long. I'm gerflumoxxed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm new to this site, so I want to make sure you have been paid your $15.00?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok let me get back to my office in about an hour, where did you get this model#? also do you know old this is? when I get back to my office I will work on this with you, I'm dying to find out whats going on with this! I'll get back to you shortly, thanks Bryan, and yes I got paid thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure exactly how old it is. My sister moved into a new condo, it was a gas oven, she wanted electric, so she sold it to me. It can't be too old as the condo was built in 2006? Of course, thats assuming they installed it new. I got the model number off the bottom of the stove, on the side of the drawer at the bottom. It says "model number" next to it, I thought that was a good clue. although I think I added an extra F. So, to clarify, its SF377PEGB.

I'm starting to think the Oven is haunted.....

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay I found your model I think , there is an extra # XXXXX the end but probably all the same parts. can you look at this and see if the clock face is the same as yours. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, everything is at a straight row under the clock. (clock, timer cancel, auto clean, etc)
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
okay , boy this is hard to diagnose. if I had to guess I would think you have a bad neutral wire somewhere but this still wouldn't explain why it works in the day but not at night, the only thing else I can think off at this point is the clock assembly but even that wouldnt make the top spark igniters not work. its deffinetly electrical , if I could find your exact model I would know more but all I can come up with has an extra # XXXXX it. I'll keep looking . Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the top ignitors always work, except if I unplug it. Then, they won't work for a bit, but always start working again. I know!!!!! its REALLY strange!!!!! Thanks for all your help!!! I'm going to work in 3 hours, will check for your reply in the morning.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

ok I'll see what else I can come up with, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
oh, there is a number 5 way out a bit from the model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its 5:19 pm here in Austin, Texas. My oven, which has worked all day (I kept checking it, off an on, since 0715, when it started working) isn't working now. Its getting dark.......AGHGHGHGHGH!!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
try clicking this link, these are the only model #s close to yours and the clocks dont look the same on any of them. let me know what you think is yours, thanks Bryan. link http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd;jsessionid=Py0Pcc8gyTit2lImOAlDRA**.shcapp3306?modelNumber=SF377PEGB&pop=flush
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

its the SF377PEGB5.

thanks Bryan!

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

well I wish I was there thats for sure. the only thing I can think of is either moister in the unit that interferes with the operation of the oven, or something you turn on in the evening is interfering with the power supply . try taking a long extension cord and running this into a different room on a different power line and see if it works,there may be a power drain on something at night thats causing this

. my wife thinks its haunted! lol. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok!!! I will try that and let you know!!!! (I think it IS haunted!!!!)
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , I'm doing everything I can from here, let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well, last night, when the oven stopped working, I took an extension cord and plugged in the stove from the back guest room. The stove still wouldn't work. about 0600, it started working again. I don't turn anything on during the night that would cause an electrical surge. I guess I'm just going to have to do all my cooking before 7pm at night!!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I wish I could tell you whats going on with this but it makes no sense at all,it has to be either the clock or moister in the oven somehow, i'm stumped. the clock shouldnt cause it not to light the burners though. are you able to light the top burners with a match? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the TOP burners ALWAYS work. its the oven that doesn't work.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok then , I thought you said even the top wouldn't work , sorry to many things going on at once sometimes. I would think it would be a problem with the clock then for sure. it seems to stop working at a certain time every night that leads me to the clock assembly. I used the model # XXXXX gave me to find your clock is this it? Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=if it doesn't look like yours they may have made a change in the clock design. can you hold out until Monday I'll get back to you after I check with my warehouse and tell you where to get it at the best price. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, all the bake,custom broil,auto clean,temp time,start time,cook time,clock, timer cancel,start,enter,off,cancel buttons are at the bottom, under the clock, in a straight line. Monday, or whenver, is fine! I work saturday-sunday-monday nights anyway, so really won't even be a part of the world again until tuesday evening. Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for all the help!
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I'll look into it. thanks Bryan