Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My refrigerator has suddenly stopped cooling. The freezer section

Customer Question

My refrigerator has suddenly stopped cooling. The freezer section is still working. Model MFF2557HES
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you tell me if you see any frost on the back panel inside the freezer section? look real good behind the food at the bottom where the slots are on the bottom of panel , let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have unpluged the appliance so cant tell you if there was frost on the back panel
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
how long has it been unplugged? you may have a bad control board , these are famous for this they have a bad control board in them. if the freezer was still working I'll bet its the board, I do allot of these. the other thing it could be is the damper assembly. which controls the air flow to ref. section. here the pictures of both. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width= this is the board, and this is the damper. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=check both of these , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan,

I took everything out of the Ffreezer & Refrigerator yesterday and unpluged the unit for about eight hours and then restarted but only the freezer section was working.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sounds like the damper isnt opening to let air flow into ref. section. the problem is its hard to tell whether the board is causing it or the damper itself is bad.I'll get you diagrams so you can see where these parts go. and maybe you can take cover off the damper and see if its stuck or frozen ,click here http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi rect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=MFF2557HES&productCategoryId=0161000&brandId=3048&modelName=MAYTAG-REFRIGERATION&diagramPageId=00006&componentDescription=CONTROLS&documentId=M0704035&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list your board is # XXXXX and your danper is # XXXXX on this diagram, hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan,

How do I uncover the Damper?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
usaully there are clips or screws holding the cover on . there all different so you really have to look at the diagrams and see if theres any screws or clips you can find on yours. in the meantime I'll see if I can tell from here. thanks Bryan