Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a top loading Maytag washer (7-8 yrs old) that only

I have a top loading Maytag washer (7-8 yrs old) that only agitates in the gentle mode no matter the setting on the washing selector. It will sometimes 'kick in' to normal agitation by itself durring operation and then be OK for 2-3 loads.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
first thing to check is the belt. can you get me model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Model LAT9416AAE - the machine is not makeing any out of the ordinary noise.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
if you tip this machine back you will see two belts. one goes to the pupm and one goes to the transmission. when these belts wear they strech out and the machine wont spin up to speed, before doing anything else I would change these belts and see if it spins correctly then.these belts are easy to replace and are not allot of money. click here to look at parts . let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just so you understand...the spin cycle works fine, it's just durring normal agitating cycles that the agitator goes gentle 75% of the time when the wash setting is set to normal agitation.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

ok , does the agitator feel loose at all when you try to move it by hand?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. It has quite a bit of resistance.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
you may have a bad motor in this. I'm working right now but when I get home later I'll check that for you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Let me clarify...the resistance is in one direction only; other direction it can be rotated quite easily.

All other fuctions, e.g. spin; water input/output, ect., are working just fine.

I will not have access to this email until tomorrow morning. (This is my work email.) Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
there are a couple of reasons for this to happen , 1 you may have a bad motor, 2 the timer could be bad. 3 you may have a transmission problem. does this have a speed selector switch ? seperate from the timer? this is a picture of your agitator on the side there is a 1/4" screw near the bottom you can see the hole in the picture , make sure this screw is thight. Part 454575also run agitate ans see if you can stop it easy with your hand. if you can you may have a stripped agitator or bad transmission. let me know Bryan