Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore side-by-side fridge with an ice maker/water

I have a Kenmore side-by-side fridge with an ice maker/water dispenser. It is about 3-4 years old. It suddenly stopped producing ice. The ice maker switch is still in the "on" position, the temp is at the recommended 0 degrees, the water still works, and there is nothing in the way of the "eye" that tells it when the bin is full.
is this ice maker sideways in the front of freezer? can you get me model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes - the icemaker is sideways in the top of the freezer (i.e. when you open the door, it sits across the top of the freezer & the service door opens towards you, lifting up from the bottom). The model # XXXXX XXXXX
more than likely you have a bad ice maker module. you have to remove the ice maker and take the front cover off and see if one of the little fingers holding the main gear on is broken. i see this allot on these models. there is one 1/4" screw holding the icemaker in and then you have to slyde it out the front , once you have it out take the white cover off and look at the gear and in the center you will see two small fingers holding gear. check to see if one is broeken.heres a picture of the module.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you - I am not at home right now (at work) & will have to look at this tonight to see if that is it. Can I get back to you in the morning?? What should I expect to pay for a service call, if this is the problem? Thank you again!
well you should be able to fix this yourself if you can get the ice maker out, I can help you do it on line. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Great! I will get back to you in the morning. Do you know - do I just click on the link in the email to get back to our correspondence tomorrow? I want to make sure I do this correctly, so you can get paid. Thanks!!!!!
yeah just come back on and I'll help you. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok - so I'm having trouble figuring out where this "one 1/4" screw" is. I'm trying to attach pictures, so you can point me in the right direction. The first is just a shot of the icemaker from the doorway. The second is looking up at the bottom of the ice maker. The 3rd is with the service door lifted, looking inside.

graphicgraphicgraphic

ok remove the service door, it comes off. then toward the back right corner of the ice maker underneath there is one 1/4" screw holding a cover over the right side. its hard to see but its on the bottom , once you take that out hold the flap on the side in and pull ice maker out . I'm on the road right now and will get back to you later, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I haven't been able to get the door off - can't see how it comes off. I will try & find more time this weekend to try again. Also, the screws don't have normal heads - they're hexigon-shaped & flat on top. Do they require a socket wrench? If so, I'm missing an attachment small enough in my set, but a relative will be coming over tonight that may have one.
ok get back to me tonight, the door covering the ice maker is stapped on.it just comes off the litte pegs on each side of door. you need a 1/4" socket to get the screw out , get back to me tonight. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did see the little pegs, but it looked like I'd break them off if I kept at it. Ok... will try again - but it's on your head if I break it -- HAHA. Will get back to you. Thanks!
just lift up on the door and one side comes out first. you can see it if you look at it. just be careful thats all.let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We got it out!! AND... one of the 2 "fingers" in the center IS broken! Amazing! Ok - now what do we do? Is this part available at Home Depot??
ok now you have to take the module off the ice maker. first there is a plug you need to use a very small screw driver looking from the front on the left side you will see where the plug goes into ice maker push down on the little tab and pull plug out . then remove the 3 screws holding the module on ice maker. then just replace the module. you can go to this site and order the module. http://www.repairclinic.com/ then just put it back the same way you removed , good job , let me know when your done. please press accept if your happy with my help. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bryan! There is nothing called "module" and I looked through a lot of the pictures of parts. Can you tell me more specifically what it is called. Yes - I am very happy with your help. With this last answer, I'll definitely hit "accept." Thank you for everything!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I found it! Figured out the part number & did a search... $73. Sound right? I'm ordering now. Thank you for everything!!
yuor very welcome . happy holidays, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Bryan! This question, although I accepted, is still siting in my "waiting for you" area. Do you show that it was accepted? What do I need to do?