Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17years

My Maytag microwave stopped heating. Everything else works

My Maytag microwave stopped heating. Everything else works normally. Local appliance tech said "90% of the time it's a bad magnetron". I'm pretty good with tools, and installed it so I know how it comes down. How hard is it to replace this part? Any dos or don'ts? Anyway to test the part to be certain it's faulty without zapping myself? :-)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Brian replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Sorry to hear about your problem and thanks for waiting.

You will need to look at and/ or test these three areas if your microwave won't heat but you hear a loud buzzing or humming noise while it is running:

• Power diode
  • High voltage capacitor
  • or the Magnetron

CAUTION Your microwave oven is capable of giving you a serious electrical shock, even when it is unplugged.

Click here to learn more about each one of these items and to learn how to test them and replace them if necessary.

If the microwave sounds fine and there is no heat, one of the internal door switches, the high voltage circuitry, or the circuit board may be the problem and should be tested and replaced as necessary.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.