Bob B.
Bob B., Handyman
Experience:  20 Year Home Improvement and Tech Ed teacher
9387771

When I switch the oven on it gives a bang and trips. I have

When I switch the oven on it gives a bang and trips. I have had an electrician to check the wiring and that it fine. Could it be the element. The model is H4900B.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob B. replied 5 years ago.

There is obviously an internal short and I would not recommend playing around with it too much.

Please be sure that the power to the unit is disconnected.

How old is the unit, what make is it.

Bob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The make is miele, type H4900B 90cm.

It is 3 years old but I only use it once a week as I have a smaller oven as well.

Could it be the fan element?

Expert:  Bob B. replied 5 years ago.

The element is definitely one of the first parts iwould check.

Remove it and check continuity first and then resistance.

Bob

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have an engineer calling tomorrow as I am not qualified to remove any oven parts and as Bob didn't give a clear answer I won't know until then what the anwer to the problem is..My brother thinks I need a new fan motor, so with getting different opinions I couldn't just order a new spare part which is why I have no option to pay for an engineer. I will let you know what happens tomorrow.

I am aware that I offered to pay the £12 fee but I'm not sure who I pay it to.

Expert:  Bob B. replied 5 years ago.

I tried to make sure that you are safe because that is a primary concern at this juncture. It is extremely difficult to diagnose the problem without being able to put a meter on it. If there is an internal short I would start at the element because that is when it blows.

You do not have to pay the fee unless you are completely satisfied.

If you remove the element check it for continuity and for any disfiguration.

If this helps click accept and if it doesn't, I wish you the best of luck and a Happy Holiday Season just the same.

Bob B., Handyman
Experience: 20 Year Home Improvement and Tech Ed teacher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Bob B

Many thanks for your help.

The engineer called today and fixed my oven. He said both the element and fan motor were fine and that the problem was two wires were touching which was causing the fuse to trip every time.

Thank goodness I have an oven to cook lunch for. the 13 people I have coming on Sunday.

Merry Xmas

Julie