John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

The coil in my Jenn-Air oven caught fire and was burning its

Customer Question

The coil in my Jenn-Air oven caught fire and was burning its way through to the end. After repeated attempts to extinguish the fire, I finally broke the coil with a hammer, which cooled the coil and probably prevented an explosion. However the entire range is on the fritz now. Can it be repaired or am I looking at having to buy a new range.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

please send the model # XXXXX I can look at the stove
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry I don't have more information. I am making this inquiry from work. The range came with the house when we had it built about 13 years ago, if that helps.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi sometimes when an element fails thats what it does. Jut clen the mess in the oven and replace the element It will be Ok Hope I helped you Please accept THe appliance doc
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you give me a ballpark figure on what it will cost to repair the element, including parts and labor? I realize you don't have much information here, but a reasonable guess will help me figure things out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Did you get my previous question about a ballpark figure to repair the problem?
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi you can replace the element yourself The element is held on by 2 screws. Cut the power, remoce the 2 screws and replace the element. The cost Is about $ 40.00 for the part/ If You add labour $ 80.00 + the part Hope I helped you Please accept The appliance doc
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
have a great day