GregoryA
GregoryA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years experience, factory authorized and trained technician top-rated, excellent communicator

I have a GE Model JGBP28BEA6WH gas stove. I replaced the ignitor

I have a GE Model JGBP28BEA6WH gas stove. I replaced the ignitor however there is no gas coming into the oven to light. The top works, the broiler works just no gas to the oven. On the regulator is there a lever I need to reset? How long does the ignitor stay energized when operating the oven?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  GregoryA replied 5 years ago.
The first question is, why did you replace the ignitor? Was it open? The ignitor on this model is energized the whole time the oven calls for heat.
That model has what is called a "dual valve". One side opens for the broiler, the other side opens for the oven. It's entirely possible that your problem is that the coil in the oven segment of the gas valve is open. If you have a VOM, take a resistance reading on the broil side, then check the oven coil on that valve, the reading should be identical. Do not touch your regulator, that is not the problems, those almost NEVER fail and if you are getting the broil function, that rules out gas supply issues. Also, are you sure you simply don't have a bad part? Those ignitors are fragile. if you set it down hard, you could have cracked it. That bake circuit is pretty basic; the ignitor is in series with the valve coil. if one or the other is open, you get no heat. So check both the coil in the valve and the ignitor itself for resistance. if they check ok, make sure you are getting voltage to the bake coil coming from the thermostat.
GregoryA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years experience, factory authorized and trained technician top-rated, excellent communicator
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the ignitor was open and the oven was working fine prior to the failure. Since replacement, the ignitor turns bright red and stays on, but the oven fails to light. I do have a VOM but don't know which poles from the valve go to the broiler or oven. Can you assist?
Expert:  GregoryA replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure that you obtained the correct replacement part? What we do when the ignitor glows but no gas flows, is take an amp probe and clamp it around the ignitor, and read the circuit amperage. The gas valve will have a rating on it- typically it will be 2.9-3.2 amps. This means that the current draw has to be at least 2.9 amps for the valve to open up. If it is lower, you will not get any gas flow. Since the broiler works, if you have an amp probe, you can easily compare the readings between the two.

As for what leads, these parts do not have any polarity, you are using the meter's battery to check them, so it does not matter which leads you use, as long as there is a complete loop thru the part and thru the meter, that is all you need.

Please be careful here, very bad things can happen if you are not careful.
Expert:  GregoryA replied 5 years ago.
If you would be so kind, please accept my answers? I have given you a lot of useful information here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.