John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Our OLD upright freezer has stopped working. It will come on

Customer Question

Our OLD upright freezer has stopped working. It will come on for 30 seconds or so, then shut off for a while. What is the likely problem, and is it worth repairing for what is probably a 25 year old freezer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

please send me the model # XXXXX I can look at the freezer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The freezer is a Montgomery Ward Model 4640. It comes on (I hear something running) for 30 seconds, then stops for a while. Then comes on again after maybe 15 minutes. It seems to maintain the temperature in the low 30's.
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
Hi I would look at the relay on the compressor. remove the box on the side of the compressor, and check for burning smell. Replace the relay This should repair the problem Hope I helped you with your problem Please accept The appliance doc I am here to help you
Expert:  John replied 7 years ago.
have a great day