GregoryA
GregoryA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years experience, factory authorized and trained technician top-rated, excellent communicator
13944707

A GE WASHING MACHINE THAT WILL NOT STOP LETTING IN THER WATER IN WASHING OR RINSING.

Customer Question

THE WASHER IS A GE ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD AND WE NOTICED SOME WATER ON THE FLOOR RECENTLY. I DISCOVERED THAT THE WATER INTAKE WAS NOT SHUTTING OFF ONCE IN THE WASHING OR RINSING MODES. BASICALLY EVERYTIME THE THE WATER STARTS I HAVE TO MANUALLY SHUT OFF THE WATER SUPPLY ONCE WATER CAPACITY IS ACHIEVED. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT AS SOON AS I CUT THE COLD WATER SUPPLY AND SWITCH THE WATER DIRECTLY BACK ON THE WATER STOPS UNTIL THE NEXT WATER NEEDED CYCLE.

THANKS FOR ANSWERS.

BRIAN
Category: Appliance
Expert:  GregoryA replied 5 years ago.
Brian, what you want to do is this- When the water keeps running after agitation starts, unplug the machine- does the water keep flowing? If the water keeps running after you unplug the washer, then this is easy- you need a new water inlet valve. If the water stops flowing, then there's a problem with the water level switch.

GregoryA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years experience, factory authorized and trained technician top-rated, excellent communicator
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>IF THIS IS THE WATER INLET VALVE IS THIS A INEXPENSIVE FIX. EST. PART COST$? BECAUSE I HAVE THIS OUT ALREADY BUT WAS UNSURE OF HOW TO TEST IT. </p><p> ALSO IF THE WATER LEVEL SWITCH IS THE PROBLEM IS THIS EASY TO REPLACE AND COST EFFECTIVE. </p><p> </p><p>THANKS BRIAN. </p>
Expert:  GregoryA replied 5 years ago.
yes, those valves are cheap, probably less than 20 bucks, depends where you go. Water level switch can be tested with a VOM, but the way I outlined things, that's the way to "test". Those valves can stick, a test of the coil tells you nothing really.
Give me the machine's complete model number and I can get you a part number for the valve assembly..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the help greg. it was the valve. but i had to pay about $45 for the part. did not do much shopping around though and it was a genuine ge part. should i have looked for a aftermarket or did they just play me for a sucker. thanks again for saving me the money.

brian
Expert:  GregoryA replied 5 years ago.
Well, figure this way- you still saved a bunch of money doing it yourself. You might have saved 20 bucks or so by shopping around, depends which one it was. If it was the one mounted behind the top control panel, GE designed that one so you can't really "sub" it for a generic replacement.

It's all good! You fixed it yourself and we were able to help you.

If you are happy and satisfied with the help you recieved here, if you have not done so yet, would you be so kind as to please take a moment and leave me a little feedback?

Thanks for using JustAnswer and have a great Holiday Season!!

~Greg