MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

My freezer works great. Frosting up a little. My fridge is

Customer Question

My freezer works great. Frosting up a little. My fridge is only keeping about 50 degrees and it's turned up all the way. Condensor appears to be working, and freezer fan is working. Cleared out drain tube, cleaned condensor coils, defrosted freezer and cleared out all air flow-ways. Fridge is still warm. Any suggestions??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the refrigerator?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

LG

Model LRTG 1811W

The refridgerator is turned all the way to the coldest setting (8). The freezer is also on the coldest setting (3). The freezer is working fine. The refridgerator compartment is only getting down to about 54 degrees.

I have cleaned the condensor coils, defrosted the freezer, thawed and cleared the drain tube, and verified that the condensor is on and the freezer fan is working. The fridge is running and the door seal is good. Also, the light does go off when the door is shut. I can't figure out why the freezer is working and the fridge is staying warm. Please let me know it there is any other information you need.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 years ago.
I have opted out of this question since I have no information on this model in my database. By opting out this prompts other experts to reply if they have the answer for you. Hopefully another expert will respond soon.

Regards,

Edward
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks anyway.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out with this.

I see you have really gone over this before getting some help. Those were all great things to check.

How long has the fridge been running since you defrosted it?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!
Bill
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I forgot to put the model no. It's a LG Model LRTG1811W.

I probably defrosted it about 3hrs. ago. It really wasn't that frosted up to begin with though. I just did it basically to try and thaw that drain tube which was frozen up. I did eventually get that open. I have a thermostat in the fridge and every now and then I will check it and it's holding steady at 50 degrees, and it's turned all the way up to the coldest setting.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

How frosted up where the coils? There should have only been a light layer of frost on them. There should be no build up whatsoever. Usually when the drain line freezes up, thats a sign of a defrost issue. Look at this picture and compare it to what your frost looked light. Let me know how it compared.

I am unable to locate a manual on your fridge. Can you give me a couple details.
Side by Side?
Top Freezer?
Digital Controls?

This will help me out alot.

Thanks Again,
Bill
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, the frost was in the normal range, closer to excessive but still normal. I first noticed a problem with the freezer about a week ago. It's frost free, and it's never frosted up before. That is until about a week ago, everything had a light layer of frost on it. I knew something was wrong then. About a day or two later, I noticed my milk was not as cold and tasted funny, now I'm thinking "freakin great" right before the holidays.

The fridge is a 18cu.ft. LG. top freezer, dial controls. It's probably 5 to 7 years old. I bought this house in 2005 and the fridge was with it and it appeared new, owners manual, warranty sheet and all. A senior lady lived here and I don't think she ever used the fridge if it wasn't brand new.

Even now, there appears to be a very, very thin layer of frost in the freezer and the only thing I have in there now is ice trays.

Also, I took the lower back off and the condensor was running, the coils are underneath the fridge.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I wish everyone was a Descriptive as you!! Great Job.
Let's try a couple things. I believe that you are starving the refrigerator side for cold air by having the freezer side turned to the coldest setting.

Here's how that works. There is an air divider between the two compartments. There is no thermostat that controls the temp of the freezer. It gets it's temperature based on how long it has to run to cool the refrigerator side.

By having the freezer side to the coldest setting, only a tiny amount of air can reach the fridge side. That means the whole machine runs longer to cool the fridge side and therefore you get a lower temperature in the freezer sections.....Follow me?

Turn the Freezer section temperature to the middle setting. Let it run overnight and check the temperature in the refrigerator after it has run for about 5 hours with the doors closed. This will give you a better idea of where the temperature is resting.

One more note. With the refrigerator barely having anything in it. It cannot maintain a constant even temperature. The fuller the fridge the more efficient and even the temps hold.

I know you don't want to load it up until it;s right again, so at least take that into consideration with all the opening and closing of the doors checking the temperature.

Put a big jug of water in the fridge and check the temp of the water after it has run for a few more hours. Three hours may not be enough time for it to get down where it needs to be after you defrosted the whole thing. Give this a shot, I will be on here on and off tomorrow. After you press the accept button you will still be able to post to me. You will not be charged more than once. I will help you through this until you are completely happy and have all the knowledge I can give you.

Thanks Again,
Bill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Thanks alot. One thing though. The freezer is empty. The fridge is still full. I will turn down the freezer now and check back with you tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

No Problem, I will talk to your tomorrow! Thanks for the Bonus!

Bill
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Good news, everything went back to norman. Thanks so much for the advice. Its now down to 30 degrees so i have to turn it down but its working.

Thanks agian!! Im leaving feedback for you now.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Awesome!! Glad to hear that it's working now. Your descriptions are what make an easy call. Good Job to you.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com!
Bill