Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a fridge with bottom freezer. Its 6 yrs old and has

I have a fridge with bottom freezer. Its 6 yrs old and has been working great. Over thanksgiving, the top fridge stopped cooling - is around 60 degrees, freezer is working fine. I cleaned the coils (very dirty) and still no improvement. What should I look for?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

Hi,is there any frost on the back wall of the freezer panel?

can you hear the fan running in the freezer section?

thx randy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Randy,

I hear the fan running in the freezer section, as for frost on the freezer, the very back of the freezer, there is frost .

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

ok ,you have a defrost problem,there should be no frost back there,that fan draws air across the coil and blows a small portion up to the fridge thru the damper,but when the evaporator frosts up ,air flow stops to the fridge,its going to be one of 3 parts,heater defrost thermostat,or timer/board,

the heater and defrost thermostat can be checked with continuity in behind that panel the timer/board is a bit more complex

heater is usually pretty good i would suspect the thermostat possibly timer/board,but the back panel would need to be removed and the parts checked,and coil cleared of frost

thanks Randy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would these be located higher up on the fridge (eye level) after I remove the back panel? Also, what kind of test for each of the three listed problems- basic resistance? If I had to replace the defrost thermostat, would this release any 134 refrigerant? thanks kurt
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

no,the parts are in behind the freezer panel ,where the frost is located,continuity for the thermostat and heater,thermostat is a round bulb with 2 wires,and no that would not release any freon,these are the electrical components,the board sends power through the thermostat on to the heater to melt the ice if the thermostat or heater is open you get the ice build up and the resulting no airflow issue..let me know if any problems

Randy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Randy, I can see the area that I need to remove, so Ill give it a try and let you know tomorrow. Kurt
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.
ok,good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Randy,

I fixed the problem- luckly it was just the timer so I didnt have to take apart the freezer area. It gave me a good chance to clean the fridge anyhow and throw out the even more rotten stuff. Your advice was right on the money , thanks so much for getting back to me so fast and giving me the backup I might have needed.

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 5 years ago.

no problem glad to help out

thanks

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert