Bob Schauer
Bob Schauer, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience in commercial and domestic appliance repair

My matag refrigerator compressor stoped working how do I test

My matag refrigerator compressor stoped working how do I test the compressor what should the ohm reading be for a burnd out comp.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX do you feel that the compressor is bad? Have you verified voltage to the compressor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks bob, the compressor makes a clicking sound also the voltage at the plug is 119 volts, when the compressor clicks the light in the refregerator gose a littel dem. what do you think??

OK, then we have one of two problems, either the compressor is locked up or the start components are not functioning correctly. If you want to replace the start components and see if that solves the problem, it shouldn't be too expensive. If the compressor needs replaced you are looking at somewhere around $600.00 plus depending on the labor rates in your area. I am sorry for the bad news but at least you know what the problem is and can now make an informed decision. I hope I have been helpful and I thank you for using Just Answer. Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks Im going to ask you a couple more questions befor im done. I work 2nd shift so i will respond in the morning i found the compressor cost just under 300 dollars through may tag i beleave its the compressor cause the voltage is right and it clicks on and off makes a light buzzing noise then cliks off and repeits its self so should i start with a new comp.? the unit is almost 10 years old.. do i flush the lines and add the same 134a w/ oil? to compleat everything thanks very much , Eric.....
Ok, I am sorry but because Federal Law prohibits the handling of refrigerant products except by a certified refrigerant technician, I could be held liable if you where caught doing the work yourself. I hope that you will be able to make an informed decision with the information I have given you. I thank you for using Just Answer. Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thanks