Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I HAVE A KENMORE 70 SERIES DRYER ITS A OLDER UNIT JUST ABOUT

Customer Question

I HAVE A KENMORE 70 SERIES DRYER ITS A OLDER UNIT JUST ABOUT A WEEK AGO I NOTICED THAT NO MATTER WHERE THE CYCLE SELECTOR IS WHEN YOU CLOSE THE DOOR THE DRYER GOES ON IT NEVER DID THIS BEFORE NOW IF YOU LET IT GO IT WILL NOT STOP AT THE END OF THE CYCLE IT JUST KEEPS GOING . ALSO NOW WHEN YOU CLOSE THE DOOR IT GOES ON NO MATTER WHERE THE SELECTOR IS THE ONLY THING I DID WAS FOR A LONG TIME THE BULB WAS OUT SO I REPLACED THE BULB AND WITHIN A DAY IT STARTED DOING IT SO I TOOK THE BULB OUT NO DIFFRENCE ANY IDEAS ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob Schauer replied 5 years ago.

Hello,Customer my name isXXXXX believe that you timer has an internal switch stuck since it sends power to your selector switch and from there to the motor. You will probably have to replace the timer. If you give me a model number I can check to see if the part is still available since you said it was a fairly old machine. Bob

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Bob, I believe the motor switch has welded contacts. That is why it continues to run through the off cycle and the machine starts with no PTS switch having to be pushed...just a little different opinion.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HELLO BOB THE MODEL NUMBER IS XXXXX 97576200 75762 IT IS AT LEAST 8 YEARS OLD IT WAS HERE WHER WE MOVED IN 8 YEARS AGO

We have a suggestion from one of the other techs. It is something else to consider. I have my doubts because those motors have both a start and run winding. If if was stuck on the start winding then it would burn out with in a fairly short period. If it was stuck on the run winding then it not start. Regardless something has to be supply power to the motor and that has to be the selector switch from the timer. Normally you would have to push the timer knob to get the cycle running after you had opened the door. But if you are not having to do that then that says that the timer start switch is stuck. I will research the timer and see if its still available. Bob

Hello, I found that your machine actually has a push to start switch and its separate from the timer. I would say that it is highly likely that this switch is stuck in the close position. I will give you a link to a website that sells parts and the part number for the switch is 52865. Here is the link:

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SmartSearch.aspx

I hope this will solve your problem and I thank you for using Just Answer. Bob

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
A closed PTS switch wouldn't explain the timer bypassing the off setting, though....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>hello </p><p>can any one give me a test to do or check ? as a starting point . i am a mechanic so i am good with diagrams and testers and i have all the equipment to do so </p>
Expert:  master appliance tech replied 5 years ago.
OK well it is quit simple i dont know why these guys have made it in to a mess the timer has welded contacts going to the motor ( you can test this by looking at the scamatic for the power into the timer and out to the motor if you have the timer to the off position it should read open if not the timer is bad) here is what i believe to be the repair manual for this unit it will walk you through more test.

this is to try to clear up the confusion

if the motor has stuck winding the timer would still shut it off

if the PTS (push to start switch) was stuck the timer would still shout it off

the timer has 100% control of the power
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello
ok now i was just looking at it have not done anything yet and now it started sutting off when it should but it still starts when you turn the timer to run and shut the door open it goes off closed it goes on ? we have not used it in a couple of days
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
It sounds like your push to start button is shorted. disconnect one of the wires to the push to start button and shut the door to see if this stops it from turning on. If it does then you need a new start button
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yep i took all the wires off and did a continuity test and its stuck in closed position . thank you for your help
eamon
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 years ago.
np if you found my information helpful plz press accept as it's the only way I get payed.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.