master appliance tech
master appliance tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  6 years+ in home service own and operate my own in home appliance repair company
13501207

I have a whirpool refrigerator freezer. The freezer is dethawing.

Customer Question

I have a whirpool refrigerator freezer. The freezer is dethawing. I've turned the knob under the thermostat and the motor came on in the freezer and the freezsr started freezing again, however it has stopped freezing again and turning the knob under the thermostat does not acitivate anything. Can you tell me what is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  master appliance tech replied 5 years ago.
what knob are you turning the defrost timer? is it cooling?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got a butter knife and turned something that was attached to the thermostat. It is located under the thermostat in the refrigerator.
that is the defrost timer it was probably stuck in defrost. or just in a defrost cycle what is your question? the unit is not cooling at all? and twisting that doesn't do any thing? are the fans running is the compressor running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it was stuck in defrost however turning the defrost timer does not keep the freezer from defrosting now. My freezer is still in defrost mode when I turn the timer. When I initially turned the timer I heard the freezer making a noise as it was running. I do not here this noise and my freezer is contiuning to defrost.
the timer could be stuck inside i would replace that is it heating? in the frezer or just not running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My food in the freezer is thawing and I do not here the freezer running.

i would say the timer is bad replace it
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You sound as if you're not sure and it took 4 of the same question- freezer is not thawing what may be the problem. Is it the timer or could it possibly be the compressor?
well your telling me the compressor is not running the fans are not running I'm not getting any detail from you so i know the timer controls all 3 of those things so that is where i would start if you have a multimeter we could go in to some testing but as you used a butter knife i dont know if you have any tools