Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

How do we open the canister on our Kenmore Whispertone canister

Customer Question

How do we open the canister on our Kenmore Whispertone canister vac to service the motor? We believe the motor safety filter disintegrated and was sucked in, causing a burning smell and grinding noise. Model 116 (NNN) NNN-NNNN Serial DF(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago. delNumber=1162501290&productCategoryId=0642000&brandId=0582&modelName=CANISTER-VACUUM&diagramPageId=00001&componentDescription=CANISTER&documentId=10040290&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list

For some reason I can't copy this pic for you directly but have provided a link with a good picture breakdown to help you. This is the only info I have to provide and no experience with this model vacuum, so please don't accept unless this picture helps!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks.    have the diagram already, but cant get at the screws (#16) which are hidden under the plastic cover!
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago.
It looks like #29 should hinge up after releasing #30 to access the screws...not so?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry -- didn't realize there were 2 sets of #16.   Did manage to find the ones under29, but can't figure out how #1 (cord release button) comes off to access other #16s
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago.
If I am not mistaken, isn't the spring just kind of "pressure fit" on the little post on the bottom of the pedal? I think once the spring is pryed off the pedal bottom it will hinge up.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, spring just rests against bottom of the pedal.    I guess we just have to keep prying at the 4 little tabs
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago.
Shoot, I thought I was on to something! Embarassed
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
:( Darn, me too!     Clearly the intention is that we are not supposed to be playing around in there ourselves, but should be buying a replacement!    But I'm just stubborn enough to keep on going at it some more first.    Going to pack it in for tonight but give it another try tomorrow.

Thanks for your efforts anyway.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago.

Sorry I didn't have more and better answers for you....

Thanks for the accept, though. I appreciate it!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
fyi --we got the pedal off today (took 2 of us with 2 screwdrivers pushing on the cover to release the little clips), but on looking at the insides, decided the darn thing wasn't worth repairing anyway, as too much needed replacement...     thanks again anyway
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the update! Who would've thought so much effort to open up a vacuum cleaner! lol

Have a Merry Christmas!