GregoryA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years experience, factory authorized and trained technician top-rated, excellent communicator

kitchaid dishwasher leaking around the motor/pump. model kudd230y.

Customer Question

kitchaid dishwasher leaking around the motor/pump. model kudd230y. is it best to replace appliance or to attempt to repair it myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  GregoryA replied 7 years ago.
That's actualy a fairly easy job. You can get the motor and pump as an assembly (I can get the part number for you, (I think it's 675975) and it basically just pulls up out of the center of the machine. You will be removing a white plastic check-valve/drain hose connector from the old pump along with a balance weight on some models (simply unscrews) and then unhook the connector, flip the retainer tabs inward and the whole thing just lifts out. On some modles if you have a dual-wash arm system, you have to transfer the pump outlet over from the old unit, which is also just a few screws.

Some techs put a seal kit in, but I replace the unit as an assembly and give a year warranty on the repair. Sometimes the "replace the seal and same money" thing turns out bad when it leaks again, especially on a customer's nice wood floor.

"You can do this"

Please accept my answer if you find it useful!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
appreciate the answer...estimate my costs for parts needed, so that i can decied to repair existing machine or purchase a new machine.
Expert:  GregoryA replied 7 years ago.
Stand by a sec, I was answering another question. I will be right back with your info sir...
Expert:  GregoryA replied 7 years ago.
The complete motor and pump is a 675711A, it should be around $175.00
The pump seal kit is cheap, it's a part# XXXXX but you probably won't be able to get it apart. If the racks on this machine are in good shape and the machine is not falling apart, it will probably last a long time when repaired with a new pump/motor. They don;t make those like they used to, that is a pretty solid machine you have there. I'd fix it...