Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a(NNN) NNN-NNNN stove purchased 18 mos ago. Roasts take

I have a(NNN) NNN-NNNN stove purchased 18 mos ago. Roasts take double the normal time to cook. The other day my wife put 2 trays of cookies side by side, one burnt, the other 1/2 cooked. The manual says little about operation of the oven and actually fails to address preheating prior to cooking. The oven light comes on during preheating and goes out after 10 minute but the preheat takes almost 25 minutes to go out (350 temp). I have tested the 240 v in as well as 120v each leg to ground. Also checked the conductivity of heating elements and all seems normal. I can not check the temperature or diagnose the timer switching. What is the problem?? Note my friends have a GE that looks exactly like this Kenmore with no issues; I don't know if they are the same manufacturer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Your range is manufactured by Frigidaire. Your model utilizes a hidden element design and by nature these will require more preheat time. The hidden element design is great for keeping the oven clean but, in my opinion, is more trouble than it is worth! Aside from the longer (nearly twice as long) preheat times, it is hard to hold an accurate temperature for "critical foods" that require even temperatures. One thing that may help is to run a clean cycle to burn off anything that may be on the temperature probe that may be keeping it from properly sensing the temperature. You also may want to purchase an oven thermometer to monitor the oven temp and be sure to allow atleast 30 minute preheat time when cooking short term foods requiring little baking time.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, the temp probe is clean and this oven has only been used 5 times (roasts for company) and a few times for baking. The oven is clean and has not been used enough to clean. We rarely use the oven - there are only 2 of us. We use the microwave and gas grill for most food prep and my wife avoids this oven because of her experiences as I stated. We make muffins in a toaster oven.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
Have you allowed the longer preheat times? Is this the first time the oven has acted up or is this an ongoing problem? Was this never addressed while the unit was still under warranty?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ongoing problem! The side the cookies burnt was the side where the probe is, however, that shouldn't matter. the roasts were put in after the preheat light went out. a 45 min recommended cook time became 1 hr 50 min and came out rare! That is why I checked the elements and the power input. I also do not understand why the oven light is on at the beginning of the preheat and out halfway thru the preheat cycle.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
The oven light comes on with the element. The element will cycle throughout the preheat time to allow the probe time to react to the temperature changes. Also, with two cookie sheets on one rack, you are not allowing much room for the heat to rise from the lower element around the sides of the cookie sheets. I would recommend putting a thermometer in the oven and adjusting the control as necessary. The control will adjust as much as 35*F either way but I don't recommend adjusting it without a point of reference to begin with.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried to adjust! The problem is obviously uneven heat side to side or top to bottom. Since the thermostat is on the top left, I am thinking the top element is working and not the bottom which takes me back to my original theory - the electronic control is not turning on the lower element!
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 years ago.
That is unlikely as the top element is taken out of the circuit after preheating. After preheat, the bake element only cycles to maintain the heat. However, if the control is faulty, it may be causing your trouble. If the broil element were cycling during bake, you would be burning everything on top and raw on bottom. The key is going to be seeing what the temp is in the oven while baking. Without this information it will be near impossible to tell what is happening unless you can see the broil element glowing.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!