I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years of experience installing and repairing appliances
13086822

whirlpool duet dryer light blinks and then beeps when i try

Customer Question

whirlpool duet dryer light blinks and then beeps when i try to start but doesnt start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 8 years ago.
Please sen me the complete model number from the sticker inside the door jam!
Waiting your response
Ican
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
GEW920PL1
Expert:  I.can replied 8 years ago.
Are there any error numbers or letters lighting up?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no errors just the time display is flashing and when you try to start it beeps
Expert:  I.can replied 8 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to Just Answer.
My name is Ican & I am happy to assist you.

Lets try to reset the system.
Go to the breaker for the dryer and turn them off for 5 minutes.
If the machine operates normally after you restart it then it was an electronic glitch due perhaps to a power outage or electric spike in the house current. this can happen in any home at any time.

If it still does not run then I made you a list of seven most common things that I would check and diagnose if I were there with you hands on.

Defective Door Switch

The door switch must be operative before the dryer will start. Ensure the door switch strike is properly actuating the switch and if so, check the door switch for continuity with an ohmmeter for proper operation.

Faulty Drive Motor

If the motor will not start, it is possible it is defective. The wiring of the motor is different for each brand and you will need to refer to the wiring diagram of your dryer for the specific terminal locations. You will need to use a volt/ohm meter to check for resistance between the run winding and common (may be referred to a neutral). If there is no resistance, the motor is open and will need to be replaced.

The motor bearings can also go bad. A dryer with a motor in this condition can sometimes be started by hand and it will run. However when the motor gets hot the bearings begin to seize and the motor will stop. In this condition you must also replace the motor.

Heating Source
Electric Dryers:
On Electric dryers you will need to check the heat element for resistance. With the power disconnected, remove the two wires connecting to the heat element and check the resistance of the heat element by using a volt/ohm meter. The resistance should be between 5 and 50 ohms of resistance. If there is no reading the element is defective and will need to be replaced.

If the element is not receiving power it is likely that one of the thermostats is defective.

No Electrical power

Ensure that the proper voltage is being supplied to the appliance. Check the breakers or fuses that are supplying the power to the appliance electrical outlet. You can use a voltmeter to test for voltage at the electrical outlet.

Power Cord

If there is 220v present at the wall outlet, it is possible the power cord is defective. Remove the access plate that covers the terminal block for the power cord and visually inspect the connections. Look for discoloration on the power cord. If any of the terminals leads on the power cord are discolored, replace the power cord.

Defective Thermal Fuse

The thermal fuse is in series with one leg of power to the motor. If the fuse is open (no continuity) the motor will not run.

Location:
The thermal fuse is located in different locations according to the model and brand of dryer.

Solution:
Check the thermal fuse for continuity with a volt/ohm meter. If it is open, it will need to be replaced.

Timer

The timer is the source for power to the motor and if the timer contacts are defective, there will be no power getting to the motor. Since the wiring is different between brands and models, you will need to refer to your wiring diagram for terminal locations. Once you have located the correct terminal for the motor operation, you will need to turn on the dryer and check for 110v from the timer terminal for motor operation and the chassis ground. If you have the voltage, the timer is most likely okay and the problem is elsewhere. If there is no voltage, the timer is defective and must be replaced.

Unfortunately ,you will need a hands on tech to diagnose these parts !

Let me know how it goes!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped.
This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.
You can still ask me questions after accepting!
Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Thank you for using Just Answer.
Sincerely, Ican