JEFF, Home Appliance Technician

how much does it cost to recharge a freezer

Customer Question

how much does it cost to recharge a freezer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George replied 7 years ago.

I'm Geroge. Thanks for using just answer. The other experts and I are working on your question.

First of all anything in a sealed system you will need an EPA Certified technician. If there is a leak by EPA regulations it will need to be repaired first before it is recharged with refrigerant.

As to the cost--It will vary depending on which part of the country you are and the cost of the refrigerant.

Labor wise I can only guess and I'm basing them on northern california. Usually $90 to $120.

Parts and materials Might be about $40.

Refrigerant depending on your type of system: R-12 now is $200 per pound.

R-134A is about $40 per pound.

Hope it helps

Expert:  Accuratejoe replied 7 years ago.
Just a little add on, george is correct in all except freon prices. 134 cost my customers 18 per pound. My Service call in Tennesse is 85 dollars.

Please accept Georges answer, not mine.
Just trying to help
Expert:  JEFF replied 7 years ago.
First of all, any time a unit needs freon there is a leak. The leak must be fixed and most times components need to be replaced as well. Unless this unit has a mfr wty then throw it out and buy yourself a new one as paying for a sealed system repair makes no sense with a freezer.