MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

my asko dishwasher does not always drain completely and some

Customer Question

my asko dishwasher does not always drain completely and sometimes there is soap left hanging in the soap dispenser. It is 8 years old. I have checked the drain filters and they are clean.
When there is water in the bottom of the unit and I started and open the door, you can see the water swirling around the water pump, but it never seems to drain.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

I will be happy to help you out. Can I get the model number to your machine?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
d1716

Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

Is your dishwasher using an air gap?

Thanks Again,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know

Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

When you follow the drain line from the dishwasher, Does it go directly to the sink drain?

If it has an air gap the hose will stop under the sink to a connection, then from the connection it will run to the drain under the sink.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I comes out the back of the dishwasher pump, up along the back of the unit and then into the floor and direct connect to a vertical sewer line.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

What have you checked so far, just the filters on the inside of the dishwasher?

I believe you may just have a simple problem.

We will get to the bottom of it.

Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes

Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

I believe the water may be in the water valve. It is possible that it may be partially clogged or not opening all the way. This may explain the soap still in the dispenser. If there isn't enough water for the pump to push around inside the unit, all the soap doesn't get used up due to poor pressure.

Also check the drain pump and drain line from the pump. It is not uncommon for the hose to become restricted over time with debris and whatever else gets in there. A partial drain line restriction or weak pump motor too.

How is the pressure of the water to the dishwasher?   Shut the water supply to the DW off and remove the water line from the water valve. Look for any deposits forming on the water valve. If there are any present, remove the valve from the machine and clean it under the sink. Give it a good rinsing out. Then test the machine.

Also remove the drain line from the pump and blow into it. You should be able to blow easily into the hose. If you cannot, then there is an issue there that needs taken care of. Remove the entire drain hose and clear whatever is in it.

Let me know how you make out with these things. If this yields no results we can move on from there and test some other more involved things out.

Thanks Again,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does the dishwasher switch between the top and bottom spray bars or does it do both at the same time?
Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

Most dishwashers are able to switch between the two or use both at the same time. Does your dishwasher have a "top rack only" option?

If so then yours can use one or the other, if not then it uses both at the same time.

Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is the pump hard to replace?
Expert:  MrBill replied 5 years ago.

If you have a "top rack only" option it switches, If not they run at the same time.

The pump isn't hard to replace, it just takes some patience. On this model you are going to have to pull the dishwasher out from it's spot under the counter.

Other than that it's pretty self-explanatory when you get the machine out and tip it back. Unhook the old and insert the new. One wire plug and a couple screws later you new pump is in.

Thanks Again,
Bill