Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

my old warm manning gas heater is great but the pilot wont

my old warm manning gas heater is great but the pilot wont stay lit .has had through cleaning,and we have done the lighting instructions many times.
You're right - old . haven't been made since early 80's If you light the pilot and hold down on valve for a minute , let up and it goes out immediately it is a bad thermocouple ( the part that pilot flame hits - looks like a copper wire that goes back to valve ) If it does stay lit but goes out after a while or after burner comes on you have a weak pilot flame which means you have to disassemble the pilot and in there where the gas line goes into pilot head is a small orifice wth a VERY small hole in it, They get carboned up from years of gas flowing through it. If you can get it out - great but they usually are very hard to get out , so try running water through it , blow through it , shake it - whatever it takes. You'll then notice the flame is stronger and hit s the thermocouple better.