Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17years

How should I winterize my Maytag washer and Dishwasher The

How should I winterize my Maytag washer and Dishwasher? The house has been shut down for the winter and the furnace has been turned off, so the temps will go below freezing. I know i have to use a bio-degradable anti-freeze since we are also on a septic system.

Welcome to Just Answer.

You can winterize your appliances with the wet method where you run a nontoxic, potable antifreeze such as used in RV's, through the working parts of the appliance. Make sure they are as empty of water as they can be, after a normal wash cycle. If residual water remains in the dishwasher basin, sop it up with a sponge and spin out the water on the washer. Then, turn off or disconnect the household water supply and pour about half a gallon of pink antifreeze--not the green or blue stuff, into the basin of the dishwasher. Pour about two gallons into the washer tub. Run the appliances so they pump the antifreeze around for a few seconds and then turn it off.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question at Just Answer.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please leave feedback at your convenience.