John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Our upright freezer no longer makes a suction or vacuum

Customer Question

Our upright freezer no longer makes a "suction" or "vacuum" sound when the door is closed. We have replaced the seal, but that didn't correct the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
HI .thanks for the question. Is the inside of the freezer, all frosted up. What is the temp in the freezer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it freezes up much more quickly now requiring it to be defrosted. As to the internal temperature, I'm not sure were to look for that. It is set btween 3 and 4 out of a number 5 range.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Hi. to see if the door is sealing properly. Insert.a dollar bill . Between the gasket And pull on it . It should have.some resistance, All around. check that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband just checked the gasket with a dollar bill. He said that it seemed snub all around.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
HI. well i think that ,THe freezer is not cold enough. The only time you get that suction, Is when Its very cold in the freezer, How long since you replaced the gasket?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We replaced the gasket only about a month or so ago. My husband thought the old gasket was the problem, but it has continued even after he installed the new one.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Hi what is the temp of the freezer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know how accurate my measurment was, but it looks like about 15 degrees C
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Hi thats not very cold. Do you have a lot of frost built up in the freezer.If you do thats why its not cold enough Let me know about the frost, And is this a frost free freezer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We've been defrosting about once per month. And, yes, it's supposed to be frost-free as far as I know. My husband thinks there is some kind of pump that is not working to suck the air out of the freezer. It used to be htat when we closed the door, there would be this big suction or vacuum noise, and then you wouldn't be able to open thye door again right away. This doesn't happen any more.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Hi so you have a no defrost problem. Is your freezer all frosted up now.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_34.asp here is a break down of a freezer. Does it look like this
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hi in you freezer you wioll see a part that looks like this replace it

Part 3489

John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Have a Great day
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By the way, what is the name of the part you showed me, and what does it do?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
hIiTS CALLED A DEFROST THERMOSTAT. aND IT PREVENTS THE DEFROST TIMER TO PUT THE FREEZER ON THE DEFROST CYCLE. tHATS WHY ALL THE FROST. tHIS MIGHT NOT BE ALL THE PROBLEM. bUT ITS THE CHEAPEST PART TO REPLACE. iF IT WORKS. yOU HAVENT SPENT A LOT OF $ sO REPLACE IT
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, again!
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
nO PROBLEM