Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

What steps to replace the moto/pump of a GE Monogram dishw

Customer Question

What steps to replace the moto/pump of a GE Monogram dishwasher.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
these are not to difficult to change but you need to remove the d/w to do it, first shut off power and water supplies, then disconect the drain. after that you need to remove the two screws holdin d/w to countertop and carefully slide d/w out of cabinet. (note you may have to lower front legs to clear the countertop.) once you get it out lay it on its back, and there will be two claps holing the pump and motor assembly in one on the tub and one to the back rubber cup , also diconect the wires and the bracket holding it in the front , wiggle the pump and the whole assembly will come off, the new pump and motor comes with instuctions usually also but basicly thats it, reassemble and reconect the power and water/drain.hope this helps. Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You mentioned disconnecting the drain--so far the only thing I've done is to siphon out the water from the last run.

I've thrown my breaker which operates the disposal as well.

Do you think the washer drain and the disposal may be connected?

Is that a common practice?

To summarize what you wrote in a general sense, I'm to understand the pump/motor is under the d/w and the reason for bringing it forward and placing on it's back is to have access to them. Am I correct in that.

Next!! Where am I most likely to find the repacement?

Do I go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or to a GE Appliance place? Not sure if there is one

around, but could well be.

Your thoughts on that?

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
why is it you need to replace the pump and motor, I can give you site to buy the part but would like to know why you need to replace, there may be another fix, Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Brian, I'm confused in the payment matter.

Of course I want to pay the $15, and as far as I know that has been done.

Yet I see a request for a deposit. IS that something more?

Please clairfy.

I must leave for am appointment at 12:15 so will address this matter when I return.

That will be rather late this evening.

Will complete this Monday if something is left outstanding.

My intent is to pay the $15 for the information received including an answer to where I might find the parts.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hello Brian--

It's evening and I'm back--

You asked the question why I thouhgt I needed to replace the motor/pump?

The last time my wife used the D/W, the water was still in the bottom of the unit after the final rinse.

Wouldn't that be a pump/motor failure?

Your thoughts on that please.

I understand now the deposit/payment procedure.

I will complete the payment after I receive the response to the above, ie why I think it is a motor/pump matter.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
i need full model # XXXXX check for parts and possible other causes for your problem that may cause this, let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Good morning, Brian,

I believe that you have done your best in answering my questions, but, I have to say that the "Just Answer" protocol stinks!!

I don't mind paying the $15, but I don't like the idea of having to dump more $ into the kitty every time I want to exchange memos.

It is a stupid set-up!

I repeat, your efforts were fine. I'll try to figure the rest out from here by myself as their protocol prevents an easy commmunications exchange.

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
sorry Pete, I just answer questions, heres a site you can get parts, hope this gets to you ok. thanks Bryan