Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

i have a whirlpool refrig with the dispenser in the door. how

i have a whirlpool refrig with the dispenser in the door. how do I get the faceplate off to get to the mechanisms. a spring has come off that will not let the flap close tightly on the ice dispenser. model # XXXXX

most of these face plates snap on but are really tight, you have to be careful not to break it, sometimes there are slots in the bottom to put screw driver start from the bottom and work your way around. how old is this ref.? let me know ,thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
about 2 years old
for some reason there are no diagrams available for the dispenser assembly. I'll keep looking but in the meantime look for screw driver slots to release cover.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

let me know if you get it off, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I did and thanks I can see that a piece that holds the flap door pin has broken off and so I guess that whole piece should be replaced?
did it break off the plastic piece that acually part of the dispenser assembly? thats the piece the metal rod goes through on the righ side.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes it did is there a way to fix that or does it need to be replaced?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK are we done here?
well I believe this is the same one I repaired the other day and its a pain to do. even I had a hard time with it. they sell a kit but you have to replace allot of parts , let me see if this comes up, this is the kit you need, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=these are extremly hard to do but if you follow instruction you can probably do it,this is the only part replacement that I know off for this, its expensive also $75.00 , click here to see part supplier,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the part you show is not what is broken. it is the slot in the dispenser housing that holds the metal pin It looks like the whole housing would have to be replaced

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
there is just a little piece of plastic broken off that holds the pin
I know but theres allot of pressure on that little plastic piece and they had to come up with a stronger piece to hold it. theres no way gluing it is going to hold and you cant replace the whole piece in the door, I wish i had better news but been there and done that, its a bad design, you can try to call whirlpool and complain maybe they will send you part to repair if you tell them this is unacceptable for a two years old. I would try anyway. hope this helps , Bryan