Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE dishwasher. It goes through all cycles just fine

Customer Question

I have a GE dishwasher. It goes through all cycles just fine but the soap dispenser is open when I open the door w/ the tablet of detergent in the bottom (barely used) and the dishes are not clean.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
it sounds like you may not be getting water . start machine and when it stops filling see how much water is in the bottom , you should have at least 2". let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will do as you recommend and get back to you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I started the dishwasher and let it fill. When the whoshing started I opened the door and checked the water level. About 1/2" near the perforated drain.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
your not getting enough water, your valve is probably bad,this is a picture of your water valve . its located behind the bottom kick panel on the right side, change this and you should be good to go, let me know model # XXXXX I'll find site for you to purchase valve.thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The model # XXXXX XXXXX The valve appears to be near the back; should I pull the dishwasher out?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
this is your valve and it should be in the front left side , check again and let me know , Part 824332thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The motor is front center, power junction box is on front right, and what looks closest to the valve is about 1 ft. back on the left.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok that should be it. can you reach it? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The space is abou 4" high and restricted. I think I need to remove the dishwasher to get at it. To remove the dishwasher, do I need to disconnect the power and water?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.

that depends on how long your wire and hoses are. you may be able to pull it out far enough to get at it. Bryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I pulled the dishwasher out, I saw the valve right where you said it was. There is a brace across the front that hid the valve from view. Is there a way to test the valve or do we just replace it?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
well what you need to do is put a meter on the two wires going into valve and then start the machine and let it run, then see if it gets 120 volts ,if it does and no water came in then you need valve.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not able to check the valve. The connector is in the back and I took the valve off and rigged something but got no reading. (I do not think they could have made it any tougher to get the two screws out that secures the valve) Anyway, should I order the valve on line or may I order from you? May I call you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
I'm not allowed to do that but if you call this guy and give him the model he can send you one right away, http://www.apconline.com/ let me know Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I finally got it back together w/ the new valve and did a load of dishes. She ran fine but there was still a piece of the soap tablet left so I will try a few more loads and see if it works it's way clear. I can tell that it's working better because there is more water/suds when I open the door. Thanks, Alan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the dishes again and it was no better. The tablet was only slightly dissolved. Could it be the water temp?