Dave123
Dave123, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 years of service. General appliance tech for most all makes&models
12990683

I have a 2002 Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator that will not

I have a 2002 Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator that will not get cold after a power outage. There is a faint clicking noise and all of my food is going bad. I can hear that it is running, the lights are on, everything looks normal, but the freezer and refrigerator sections are not getting cold. We have unplugged, waited 5 minutes, and replugged it in and it has made no difference. The model number from the tag is #51042100. Please help. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for what may be a simple resolution. Thanks! -J

Hello, It sounds like you may have some bad start parts, at least lets hope that's what it is. Cause if it's the compressor it will be very pricey. Ok let me help you. First pull the unit out, Next using a 1/4" drive or socket, remove the lower back panel. Next you will see the comprssor it is in the diagram box labeled 28. You want to check the start parts, Remove item 12 from the diagram, use a flta bladed screwdriver. Next you want to remove item 13 and 16. 16 is the one that normally goes bad. You can do the old shake test to this part. if you shake it and hear rattling it's broke. if it is solid then were out of luck and it's the compressor. start parts part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand can be found at almost any dealer. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,

Dave

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Your suggestion worked Dave. We discovered a part that rattles and looks like it blew and is burnt. It is definitely the part!! The part is shaped square match box. The size is
w 1 1/2 x d 1 1/2 x h 1 3/4

We were not able to find the replacement start part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNon the broken part. The information found on the part is listed like this:

4SP

4SP1100

2216722

04 K02R

MADE IN MEXICO

*** Please confirm that the part number you gave me matches this description. ** Is $45 about the right price for this part? Thanks!!!

Oh ok. the part number i gave you is the new part number. most dealers have them locally.. Glad it was that.. compressor's cost to much.

Thank you,

Dave

oops and yes 45 dollars is right on.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dave!

We were able to get the part. My husband is super handy and has much experience with the concept and funtions of mechanical and electrical things. His idea of the part and what it does was completely opposite of what the part manual and installation explained.

The instructions and diagram was not perfectly clear and he did not want to risk damaging another part by installing it incorrectly.

I am not sure if you are able to help with installation, but he was going to go back to the parts people with photos and see if he is able to get some assistance. So, we do not have a working refrigerator as of yet. But I will certainly 'accept' once it is running.
Ok sorry i was not abale to get on last night. Did he get back to the store or do you still need help?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dear XXXXX, I cannot tell you how overjoyed we are about finding you on this wonderful site!!! We are ecstatic!! Laughing We bought the last part on the day my husband picked it up. My husband was able to go back to the parts store the next day and explained his dilemma. The parts rep verified with a tech that the brochure did not explain all of the replacement scenarios of the type of refrigerator that we had. My husband was correct in his assessment and the problem was resolved by your speedy reply, detailed instructions, verified part number, and expertise in solving our issue. Thank you soooo much. If you took longer to reply, we would have been left with no part. When my husband went back the next day for the installation instructions, 2 techs had already stopped by asking for the same part!!! Cheers XXXXX XXXXX and justanswer.com!!!!! I appreciate all of your follow-ups and care into solving our problem and save us our arms and legs! Wink We will enjoy our freezer/refrigerator once again. Maybe we will even celebrate with ice cream tonight!! Thanks a million. I happily “accept” your answer!! Any way to reach you again for other appliance issues? You are great!! Regards, Joana

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dear XXXXX, I cannot tell you how overjoyed we are about finding you on this wonderful site!!! We are ecstatic!! Laughing We bought the last part on the day my husband picked it up. My husband was able to go back to the parts store the next day and explained his dilemma. The parts rep verified with a tech that the brochure did not explain all of the replacement scenarios of the type of refrigerator that we had. My husband was correct in his assessment and the problem was resolved by your speedy reply, detailed instructions, verified part number, and expertise in solving our issue. Thank you soooo much. If you took longer to reply, we would have been left with no part. When my husband went back the next day for the installation instructions, 2 techs had already stopped by asking for the same part!!! Cheers XXXXX XXXXX and justanswer.com!!!!! I appreciate all of your follow-ups and care into solving our problem and save us our arms and legs! Wink We will enjoy our freezer/refrigerator once again. Maybe we will even celebrate with ice cream tonight!! Thanks a million. I happily “accept” your answer!! Any way to reach you again for other appliance issues? You are great!! Regards, Jay

** Hey Dave, I pressed accept and a window popped up asking for a deposit. My PayPal account has already been charged and I do not want to pay twice but want to be sure that you are paid. I'm sending a customer service report with this trouble. I just wanted to let you know!! This is what I wrote:

"I was under the understanding that I would only pay after accepting. In my case, everything worked out great!! But, the money was already taken out of my PayPal account. When I pressed the button to accept (problem was just resolved today) a screen popped up with the info below. I have already paid, and do not wish to pay again. Please advise. I will hold off on Accepting before receiving an appropriate answer. I just want to be sure that the tech has been paid. Thanks." ** info below asked for a deposit, rate you, and comments.

Hello and thank you. Yes i recieved payment for this question. I'm very glad to hear you guys are all set now, and thank you so much for letting me assist you. If you ever have any future questions feel free to ask us here at justanswer.com and if you like me just request me when you ask your question if i can help you with that matter i would be more then happy too. Hope the ice cream is good lol.. Many thanks.

Dave