Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Tritan XL dishwasher and it is failing to fill

Customer Question

I have a GE Tritan XL dishwasher and it is failing to fill up with water and runs with several of the panel lights lite. I have tried to reset the thing, but it won't work. Sometimes while it is runing, it will just stop (like someone unplugged it) and start up again--never with water thogh. Please help, and thank you. We cannot afford a new one or a service call.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you may have a bad water inlet valve, do you have a volt meter? let me know Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a volt meter...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , the reason I asked about volt meter is we need to see if your getting power to the valve. if you are you have a bad water valve, if no power its someting else. these machines are complicated and need to be checked with meter , see if you can find a friend that has one and let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Iwhat do I do after I get the meter?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
when you get a meter you need to remove the front panel on the bottom and put meter on the water valve connections and start the machine let it run for a few minutes and see if you read 120 volts to valve, if you do you need to replace valve. if you get me model # XXXXX will look up valve for you, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Bryan:

OK. We have the volt meter and I get no readings. Possibly i'm touching it to the wrong parts??

Additionally, when I start the machine, it not only runs, but it will also quickly go throught all the cycles on the different wash sequences. Possibly there is something wrong with the main panel too?

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you probably need a timer in this, can you get me model # ? its inside the machine on the machine on the side of tub on a tag, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model Number GSD6200J00BB

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
click here this is the control board,timer, http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1026099&PPStack=1 also make sure your float is not stuck. its inside the d/w usually under a cup on the right side front . let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've checked float and it is working properly.

Are you saying that I need a timer and a water valve? Do I need a new control board?

What about the volt meter on the water valve? Don't we need to try this again??

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
no the board is the timer also , your not getting power to valve so it proabably isnt a bad valve. there are two wires going to the valve put one meter probe in one and the other in second run machine and see if you get voltage. let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Brian:

I disconnected the wire going tho the water valve and checked it with the voltage meter. The valve does get a surge of power as the machine goes through its cycles.

Please let me know what to test next.

Thanks.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
if your not getting power and your float switch is good then you board is most likely bad,this is what sends the power to the valve.the only other thing to do is remove inner door panel and check for burnt wires or connectors, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please tell me the exact wording of the part and /or the part number, and where to get it at the lowest cost.

Is this something the less-than-average- repair man can do himself?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is our session complete? I am hoping you can provide me with the part number and an inexpensive way to obtain it...

Thank you so much for all of your help thus far.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you please respond????????????/