John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

AMANDA SIDE BY SIDE OLDER REFRIGERATOR FROM TIME TO TIME IT

Customer Question

AMANDA SIDE BY SIDE OLDER REFRIGERATOR FROM TIME TO TIME IT STARTS MAKING VERY LOUD NOISE AND CONTINUES FOR A MINUTE OR SO AND THEN STOPS. I NOTICED THAT WHEN I LOWERED THE FREEZER NUMBER THIS A.M. THE NOISE STOPPED. THE NOISE HAS BEEN OFF AND ON FOR MANY MONTHS. I'D LIKE TO AVOID BUYING NEW REFRIG IF POSSIBLE.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using Just answer. Was the noise coming from the freezer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no I don't think so, it sounds like it is coming from the back in the center?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you still there? i hit text message and i do not have text message if that is what is on a cell phone?? sorry
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi.Did you pull the fridge out ,If not, Please puul it out, Tell me what you see.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

NOT YET, I'LL TRY.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I AM UNABLE TO PULL THE REFRIGERATOR AWAY FROM THE WALL. HOWEVER, I OPENED UP THE FREEZER DOOR AND IT SEEMS THE NOISE IS COMING FROM THE FREEZER. I AGAIN LOWERED THE FREEZER NUMBER AND THE NOISE STOPPED.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

later in the day I can get someone to pull the refrigerator away from the wall but I can't do it now

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
You dont have to pull out, Its the fan in the freezer, Thats noisey. Can you replace the fan motor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HOW?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
If you can , and have a few tools, I can help you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok first I need to buy a new freezer fan. Where do I buy an older model Amanda freezer fan? Or can it be just a freezer fan? Few tools? Well I can get tools together and when I get the new fan to put in I could check back with you. I am a retired grandmother and can ask my son-in-law to do the job for me. It will be great if I can avoid the cost of buying a new refrig. I check the temp in the refrig and it stays within proper limits but I haven't checked the freezer temps. Sorry off on gabbing here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

APPROXIMATELY HOW MUCH WILL IT COST FOR A NEW FREEZER FAN?

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hi. Is there a parts store near you. If not you can order on line.Here is a sight, You can order from.If i helped you with your fridge , Please accept. When you get the fan, I can help you ,Replace it

http://www.partselect.com/?AID=8781915&PID=609513

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi I can send you the price & part # Please send model #
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I NEED HELP FINDING THE MODEL NUMBER BUT I WILL FIND IT. I WENT LOOKING FOR THE PART. I USED THE SITE YOU GAVE ME. I FOUND A REFRIG FREEZER EVAPORATOR FAN PS160164 3-1/2" LONG $70.39. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS RIGHT OR NOT. I LOOKED IN FREEZER AND SAW A WHITE PLASTIC THING AT THE TOP THAT WAS LIKE A SMALL WHITE PLASTIC RAKE WITH THICK SPOKES. I GUESS IT'S TO PROVIDE ICE CUBES? THERE IS A BLACK BOX ON THE TOP LEFT WITH WARNINGS ON IT. THAT IS TO THE LEFT OF THAT WHITE MAYBE ICE CUBE SEPERATOR?? WHATEVER. I'M THINKING MAYBE I CAN CALL A REPAIRMAN TO REPLACE THE FAN.? I AM NOT SURE HOW OLD THIS REFRIG IS BUT IT DOES SAY ENERGY SAVER INSIDE. I GUESS MY ISSUE IS SHOULD I SPEND THE MONEY TO GET IT FIXED OR WOULD THAT BE SPENDING MONEY BETTER SPEND ON A NEW REFRIG? THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I'LL GET BACK TO YOU ABOUT THIS. YOU HAVE BEEN HELPFUL AND I WILL FORWARD THE MODEL # XXXXX I FIND IT.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi Wether you call in a TECH, Or repair yourself, Its worth it
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. NOW I AM TRYING TO PAY YOU AND SO FAR IT HASN'T GONE THROUGH. I AM ON PAY PAL SO THERE SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM. I'LL KEEP AT IT UNTIL YOU GET PAID AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I'LL TRY AND GET THE MODEL # XXXXX SEND IT TO YOU. THANKS AGAIN, HAVE A GOOD DAY!
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
HI You have paid
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
GOOD. THANKS.
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
MY QUESTION REGARDS XXXXX XXXXX I WAS BILLED $27 FOR THE FIRST TIME I USED YOUR SERVICE AND I ASKED ONE QUESTION ABOUT MY REFRIGERATOR NOISE, CHOSE $9 WILLING TO PAY. MY VISA SHOWED TWO $9 CHARGES, A $5 CHARGE, A $4 CHARGE WHICH EQUALS $27! YOUR PROMPT REPLY WILL BE APPRECIATED. I AM RETIRED AND CANNOT AFFORD THESE MISCELLANEOUS CHARGES.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I USED YOUR SERVICE ONCE, I WAS CHARGED ON MY VIS THREE (3) TIMES AS MUCH AS I AGREED TO. I AGREED TO $9. AFTER SEEING THE $27 WORTH OF CHARGES I E-MAILED YOU AND GOT A REPLY STATING MY QUESTION HAS CLOSED. MY QUESTION THAT YOU SAY HAS CLOSED WAS REGARDS XXXXX XXXXX MY QUESTION I ASKED WAS WHY WAS I CHARGED TO $9 CHARGES, A $5 CHARGE AND A $4 CHARGE? i KNOW I AGREED TO THE GOOD FAITH $5 AND WHEN I ACCEPTED THE HELP I HIT ACCEPT AND THEN I SAW $9 MINUS THE $5 EQUALS $4. THAT I UNDERSTOOD. HOWEVER WHEN I SAW MY VISA STATEMENT THERE WERE SEVERAL CHARGES. I E-MAILED FOR HELP. ALL I GOT WAS A MESSAGE THAT MY QUESTION ABOUT MY REFRIGERATOR WAS CLOSED. I DO NOT DARE ASK ANOTHER QUESTION FOR FEAR OF HAVING MULTIPLE CHARGES. I AM TRYING THIS ROUTE AND HOPE I GET HELP. XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
Hi I dont know about any chargesI dont collect any money I would E-mail customer service for that. But about the fridge Its worth repairing . the appliance doc