Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

Is it common for the Kenmore Elite stainless 30 in electric

Is it common for the Kenmore Elite stainless 30 in electric range (model 41023)to need a whole new board? I have had this problem three times now in one year. Luckily, Sears is honoring the warranty and lemon agreements. I do not, however, understand this extreme problem on a new high end appliance. Thank you for your help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Today, the most common problem in all ranges that we see (by several times) is that the board has failed. The fact that a particular range is more expensive than another does make it any less likely to have that problem.

They are affected by fluctuations in electricity.

When you consider that these boards are small computers and make the comparison to real computers, you could see the same thing. If you buy a more expensive computer it is not less likely to have a board blow on it.

Let me know if you would like more information and/or clarification.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What can I do to protect the board against fluctuations in electricity? I am afraid to select the exact same range for my lemon replacement only to be troubled by the same issue.

HiCustomer

You can ask Sears if they record these problems and if they can tell you if the particular model that you had has been having more problems than their other ranges. Without their recording of issues you really could not tell if the problem was a fluke or has been coming up more often with that model.

There isn't any proven technology that can be used to be sure that the board from a 220 volt range won't blow. You might try a whole house surge protector if you do lose electricity often.

bernie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How expensive is a whole house surge protector and how difficult is it to install. My community does lose power often. Thanks for the help!

HiCustomer

If you have someone who has electrical experience, it is not hard to install. You can get them from approximately $60.00 and up. If you pay an electrician to do this, you probably will add $150.00 or more to the cost for labor (depending on who you get).

bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances