Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my refridgerator is not cooling properly

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you get me model # ? also check the rear panel inside freezer section and tell me if there is any frost buildup on panel at all, move your food for a good look , let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the model number is XXXXX ge there is very small amount of frost built up on the back panel
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you probably have a defrost problem, first thing to do is remove the back panel in freezer and take a hair dryer and defrost the coils, these are probably frosted up allot, once thats done you can plug it back in and let it start cooling again, you probablhave either a bad defrost timer or defrost thermostat. niether one is allot of money. when you get the back panel inside freezer off let me know what it looks like, lot of frost or just a little on one sction of colis .this is important, let me know ,thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, there is NOT any ice around the coils only ice at the bottom beneath the coils, where there is some sort of little tray.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, there is NOT any ice around the coils only ice at the bottom beneath the coils, where there is some sort of little tray. didnt see any frost on coils at all jim
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok thats probably a dffierent problem your defrost drain is probably clogged, but what i'm more concerned about is the ref. not cooling. is the fan in the freezer section running? do you hear any clicking or buzzing comming from the compressor? is the compressor running? let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
bryan,
I put everything back together and plugged the refridge back in and now nothing is happening, no sounds at all
when it was working earlier i heard what i thought was very light buzzing coming from compressorr, but im not 100% certain about that. the freezer was working fine but the fridge was very weak(Food compartment)
it did not seem like we heard the click of fan going on or whatever happens when the fridge kicks in to cool
the breaker is on and the light is on in the fridge
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
this may be in defrost cycle right now if you dont hear fan running, it should come out of defrost in less than an hour, when it does go behind ref. and listen to compressor and see if it starts. i have to go out for a bit but will be back by 12.30pm. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the refridge kicked back on, and i went behind it, and the fan is working but i never heard the compressor come on in the last hour or so. getting frustrated lol
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yeah it sounds like you have a bad compressor relay.the relay is on the side of compressor. this has overload and relay , you need parts # XXXXX and 735 on this diagram, hope this helps thanks Bryan, click here http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=TBX18HACGRWW&productCategoryId=0166000&brandId=043 2&modelName=REFRIGERATOR-C-SERIES&diagramPageId=00003&componentDescription=UNIT%20PARTS&documentId=G0030089&backToLink=Return%20to%20Sub%20Components%20list
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are these ge parts for the link you sent me? or are they all the same?are they difficult to replace? will i be able to do it myself ans are they hard to find in the fridge?   thanks for your help bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
let me get back to you i have something I need to do. you can probably do this yourself though and yes there original parts , thanks Bryan