Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a maytag gas dryer and it has become erratic on heating

I have a maytag gas dryer and it has become erratic on heating up. Sometimes it heats, but if the door is opened to check the clothes, it doesnt reheat. The timer doesnt seem to be clocking the time that passes. Does this sound like the timer is bad?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
does it heat up alright with the door closed for awhile? if not and it only heats for the first few minutes and then doesnt relight its probably the gas valve soleniods. these are cheap and not to hard to replace, this will also affect the timer moving, heres a picture of gas valve setup. click here. let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I ran some tests and here are the results:

Test 1

On "Time Dry /Air Fluff " setting, the timer works and the igniter comes on every 60 seconds, but the flame never lights.

Test 2

On "Auto Dry Regular" setting, the flame lights ok, the timer works ok, but the flame goes out after a few minutes and never returns, but the igniter comes on every 1 minute, but no flame. The timer is working.

Test 3

On "Auto Dry Wrinkle Free" the igniter comes on every 60 seconds - no flame and the timer doesnt move.

Does this sound like the gas valve solenoids? If so, where can I get them and what serial or model numbers are needed from my dryer and where are they located on the dryer?

John Daron

Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
yes , thats exactly what you need. did you get my picture of gas assembly? look inside the door for tag , if you dont see one look as if you were looking over machine to back and on the top there should be a tag with model and serial #s. let me know Bryan