Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Maytag washer model number MAV5758EWW. The washer

I have a Maytag washer model number MAV5758EWW. The washer will not spin. When it gets to the point in the wash cycle where it should spin, the agatator runs and the water is removed but the tub does not spin. Any suggestions.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
click here, http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1042142&PPStack=1 this may be your problem, I'm working right now but will be back on around 2pm. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the agitator supposed to operate when the washer is in a spin cycle?
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well is it acually agitating or can you hold it easy? sometimes agitators will move a bit.do you hear any clicking sound when its trying to spin? if you dont and you cant stop agitatoryou may have a bad transmission. let me know, Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Brian,

It is agitating full force just like it would if it was in the wash cycle. I don't hear any indication that it tries to go into a spin mode. No clicks. No whirring sound like a motor running without a belt or gear. It just agitates and pumps out the water. If the transmission is bad, that is a major repair isn't it? I bought the washer new in June of 2006 from Sears. Bought a Maytag because I thought they were the most durable. This is really disappointing.

If it is the transmission, do you think I would be better off to try to buy a good used washer or, if my credit permits, a new washer?