Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a natural gas oven Model # XXXXX that gets very

I have a natural gas oven Model # XXXXX that gets very hot at the bottom pull out draw (so hot it will burn your hand). Is this a normal condition? I could not see anything missing ie insulation or heat reflector.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.

does this have the broiler on the top or is it down in the drawer? if its in the drawer thats why it gets so hot, only one burner in oven and it runs bake and broil. I cant look this up until around 5.30pm I'm on the road, Bryan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I know for sure that there is one burner down in the drawer but I am not at the oven to see if there is a burner on top. I do know that when in Bake mode it gets very hot in the drawer. I'm worried that my renter may burn his foot if he gets to close or worse yet on of his toddlers touches it. it's hard to believe this is a normal condition, is there a recall on this oven Serial # XXXXX?

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
I'll check but if the broiler is in the drawer thats the way it works.there should be a broiler pan in it if its in the drawer, maybe thats missing , my broiler on my own oven is in the bottom and it gets hot but we have the broiler pan in it. I'm still having trouble with the model # XXXXX please check and see if the broiler is on top if its not its a bottom broiler and you may be missing the pan which deflects some of the heat from getting to the bottom of drawer. let me know , thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the reply, the oven is a whirlpool if that helps, numbers are correct as far as I can tell, tag is a little torn up from age. Does the pan fit below the lower burner? when I pull the lower drawer out I can see the entire lower burner. The sides of the oven show were screws could have been placed but the holes show no sign of wear nor look like screws were ever used in the holes. Can you send me a picture of what the oven should look like once the drawer is pulled out? Should I be able to see the burner so easily? Thanks.

Nick

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

Sorry I gave you the wrong Model # XXXXX be Whirlpool SF315PEGQ (Que) not (O).

Nick

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bryan,

I Found an owners manual on line, I don't know if this helps but I noticed that I am also missing the broiling pan and grate that fit into the lower drawer. Maybe thats the problem? Also the manual says that the oven has only the lower burner no top burner.

Thanks Nick