Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Whirlpool washer GST9679PW1 is not spinning or draining. Had

Customer Question

Whirlpool washer GST9679PW1 is not spinning or draining. Had a load in it, it filled and then it stopped working (no spinning or drain). In fact it was pretty dead, I disconnected, waited a while then reconnected again. The filling process started at this point, but no spinning or draining or washing cycles. Removed water in it, spun the tub ( not stuck) then I ckd the coupling ( intact), I did try to spin the coupling it moved freely but did not notice the tub move at all. I am not sure if this is because it is direct drive. Not sure what to do at this point, any suggestions would truly be appreciated. ThankyouCustomer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
you may have a bad lid switch. does the motor run at all? when you turned the coupling which way did you turn it? this motor reverses to drain and spin and you may not be able to make tub spin by hand. I think you either have a bad lid switch(my guess) or a bad timer, click here to see lid switch, http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1018522&PPStack=1 let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bryan,
Thank-you so much for your prompt reply. I just finished installing lid switch and it is working. Could you possibly suggest one more thing to me, now I have an obvious balancing problem. I used a floor dolly to stab machine back in area and when I went to spin it is erratically going crazy. Please tell me it is minor. I don't know how to rebalance it. Surely appreciate any advise.
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
sure whirlpool washers have self leveling legs and all you have to do is tip the machine forward and drop it back down and it self levels, sometimes the legs in the rear stick just tap with a hammer and they should drop down. sorry for the late reply ,Internet was down all day. thanks Bryan