Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Amana bottom freezer refrigerator has been running around

Customer Question

My Amana bottom freezer refrigerator has been running around 40 degrees recently. When I noticed it, we cleaned the bottom with a vacuum cleaner, pulled it out, removed a metal piece from the back and vacuumed everything we could reach. That didn't seem to help. Then I poured hot water and vinegar down the back hole (which I had done before according to the online information I received) and the temp went back down. A day or so later the temp went up a bit so I repeated the water and vinegar treatment. That was about 2-3 weeks ago. Everything has been fine until today when the temp went up to 60. What can we do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
can you give me model# XXXXX also check the freezer section on the back panel inside is there any frost on panel? look real good, remove food for better look. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Bryan,

My model number is XXXXX (Amana, bottom freezer refrigerator). I do not see any frost on the the back panel in the freezer section but I did move things around to free up some airspace. (it is a frost free model).

The temp is down 30 degrees since I flushed it with water and vinegar about 30 minutes ago. Now it is 30 degrees and it was 60 when I got up.

My question is, do I need to call out a technician or is there something else I can do? My reference manual says to vacuum the coils which we did, and to check the gasket which we also did.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
well there are things you can do yourself. first off where are you flushing out with vinegar and water? the other thing is to check the fan next to the compressor in back and make sure its running, let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I am flushing under the left crisper drawer where there is an open grate.

I pulled the unit out from the wall, and the fan appears to be working well. There is air coming out.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
ok I would recomend taking rear panel off the back of freezer section and check the frost pattern on the evaporator coils. you should have an even pattern across all the coils. this will tell us if you have a freon problem. also have you heard any clicking or buzzing in the back near compressor? let me know Bryan
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have not heard any clicking or buzzing near the compressor. We did take off the metal panels in the back and do not see the evaporator coils anywhere. My son thinks we need to take off the entire back of the refrigerator possibly (?) I'm thinking perhaps I need to get a technician out here.

Expert:  Bryan replied 8 years ago.
no you cant take the entire back off, can you check the model # ? it should be inside ref. section on a white or silver tag. thanks Bryan, the panel you need to remove is inside the freezer section at the back.